VMware Workspace ONE Community
StigAurstad
Contributor
Contributor

WIFI profile corrupted when deploying to iPadOS 13.x ?

After setting up iPads with pre-installed iPadOS 13.3 we are encountering an error when deploying the wifi-profile down to the device. What we are seeing now when setting up our iPads:

- The user powers up his new iPad

- When the wifi setup screen appears the user connects to SSID ' Company'

- He enrolls the device with DEP

- When the device is finished with the setup and profiles are pushed down to the device the device is still connected with the users credentials

- I verify that the wifi profile is installed on the iPad. The profile is set up to connect to the same SSID ' Company'

- When manually disconnecting from wifi and reconnecting again the iPad is not able to connect back again. It just reconnects several times before giving up.

In the RADIUS audit logs we are seeing that the username from the WPA2 802.1x PEAP profile is trying to connect, but the password is wrong. It seems when there already are an existing connection to the same SSID, the password in the profile is corrupted.

I have also tried to reproduce this error with Apple Configurator 2 with success:

- Connect to SSID ' Company'  manually with my own credentials

- AirDrop an WIFI WPA2 802.1x PEAPprofile from Apple Configurator 2 to the device to the same SSID ' Company'

- Install the profile manually on the iPad

- Disconnect and reconnect the device from wifi

Result: The iPad is not able to connect because of correct username from the AC2 WIFI profile, but bad password. Has anyone else seen this error or are able to reproduce it?

It does NOT appear on an iPad with iOS 12.4.4 installed. We have 12500 iPads in our environment and I fear that we are going to see a lot of these errors when the devices is delivered new with iPadOS 13.x from Apple .. It will also happen when a device has iPadOS 13.x installed and is wiped and re-setup again.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies