VMware Workspace ONE Community
DimitriAnesti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VPP Auto-Updates

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the new VPP application auto-updates.
We enabled a few applications to auto-update in an environment, but we aren't seeing much progress with the devices actually updating.
I just wanted to see what other people were experiencing so far before going to AirWatch Support with it.
Thanks in advance!
Labels (1)
32 Replies
PatrickKurmana
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dimirti,

It works for us all ok. Console version is 9.1.1.4

Kind regards,

Patrick
0 Kudos
DimitriAnesti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Patrick,
When you enabled auto-updates, you saw many devices upgrading their app versions?
Did you run an Application Compliance report, or an Application Details by Device report to confirm?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
PatrickKurmana
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dimitri ,
The user on the call gave me the confirmation and the console showed the updated version too

Kind regards,

Patrick
0 Kudos
hetjan
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having mixed results. All on-prem (9.1.1) seem to work fine, but a couple of cloud instances I have access to seem to have an issue with auto-updates
0 Kudos
DimitriAnesti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Arnor,
When you say issues, do you mean you've enabled auto-updates, but you don't see users' apps updating in the console?
(That's the issue I'm seeing).
0 Kudos
hetjan
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly
0 Kudos
DimitriAnesti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Arnor,
Thanks for the info.
I'm going to keep an eye out in my environment and see if anything changes.
I'll update this forum post if I find out any new info.
0 Kudos
hetjan
Contributor
Contributor

Create a ticket with AirWatch Support; they should fix this

In the cloud instances I have access to this is not important
0 Kudos
DimitriAnesti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's the next step.
I just enabled auto-updates, so it's possible I'm being impatient.
I'm going to keep an eye on it, and if I don't see significant change, AirWatch Support will be the next step!
0 Kudos
PSilve3r
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I am am having similar issue, how did you enable auto updates?
0 Kudos
DimitriAnesti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Phillip,
VPP Auto-updates can be enabled by going to the Apps & Books section, List View, and clicking the ' Purchased'  tab.
Click the check box next to the application you wish to enable auto-updates for, and at the top, click ' Enable Auto Updates' .
0 Kudos
PSilve3r
Contributor
Contributor

I am not seeing any check box or auto update
0 Kudos
DimitriAnesti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Phillip,
The checkbox should appear to the left of the application.
Once you click the checkbox next to the app, settings will appear below ' Filters' .
If you have the option to enable auto-updates for that application, it will appear there.
I also believe your AirWatch console has to be on at least v9.1 for this feature.
0 Kudos
PSilve3r
Contributor
Contributor

Ok looks like still using v9.0
0 Kudos
CoryStout
Contributor
Contributor

I need help understanding the difference between ' Enable Auto Updates'  and ' Update App.'   I want the App to update in AirWatch, but because of size and cellular connectivity, I don't want it to auto update on my iPads in the field.  So do I select ' Update App'  and NOT select ' Enable Auto Update?'
0 Kudos
MichaelFatzi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dimitri
we have the same problem, auto updates don't work - we have never been informed that there are new versions, nor were the new versions of the vpp applications installed automatically.
How was your experience - did it ever work?
Thank you
Michael
0 Kudos
PiotrWisniewski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have been discussing this topic with AW support for some time. They are aware of the issues about VPP AUTO-UPDATES.
We have been told that as a workaround there is a need to DISABLE AUTO UPDATES for particular VPP app then to click UPDATE, and ENABLE AUTO UPDATE AGAIN.
It is something about setting 0/1 value in the database that is not functionig properly now.
0 Kudos
DimitriAnesti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Michael,
I have a ticket open currently with AW Support, and it doesn't seem to be going the way I'd like it.
They've asked me multiple times to push the update manually, which completely defeats the purpose of auto-updates, and doesn't answer my question.
One of the applications we enabled auto-updates for seems to have updated on many devices, but none of the others have worked at all.

Piotr,
I haven't been told that yet, but I have been asked to manually push the applications- Which is obviously what we're trying to avoid.

I'll keep you updated if I hear any news.
0 Kudos
PiotrWisniewski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is the extract of our AW ticket  in same issue:

Airwatch and customer discussed that have internal ticket opened with our senior engineers with another customers environment not working correctly with auto-updates. Highlighted that this is ongoing and we are waiting for further feedback.
Airwatch and customer discussed pushing an update manually to a VPP app (XXX app) - Did this on webex.
Behavior - When pushing the first time the  it should update the app in the devices. Once the update has been pushed this should record the current version in the table and replace the null value and then subsequent updates should auto update. Then when an update becomes available later on, it should see the new version and initiate the install command automatically.
0 Kudos