VMware Workspace ONE Community
GeoffN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Horizon Workspace 1.5.1 Agent

I've been testing out this new agent, and for some reason it does not publish the ThinApp shortcuts into the Start Menu, is this a configuration issue on my part or a bug in the agent?

When I test with the 1.5.0 agent agains the same environment, it does publish the shortcuts

0 Kudos
7 Replies
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am getting the shortcuts created. Weird that the same packages now all of a sudden do not create shortcuts.

Not sure where to start.. Have you tried a complete clean machine? One that have never had any old agent nor ThinApp entitlements.

- sent from VMware Email

0 Kudos
levans1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If the Start Menu entries were there with the 1.5.0 agent, they should be there with the 1.5.1 agent as well, so you may have found a bug. Could you perhaps send me the ThinApp agent client log file, which you will find under %LOCALAPPDATA%\VMware\Horizon ThinApp ?  If you could also set a registry DWORD value "LogLevel" to 4 under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VMware, Inc.\Horizon ThinApp" and restart the Horizon Workspace Desktop, before sending the log file, that would add more info into the file. The file I need will be named "HorizonThinAppClient-<date>-<time>.log"

Meanwhile, you can also try creating a registry DWORD value called "DesktopRefresh" with a value of 2 under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VMware, Inc.\Horizon ThinApp" (Wow6432Node is only if you have a 64-bit OS of course) ... Then wait 5 minutes, or stop and restart the Horizon Workspace Desktop. This alters when the agent registers your ThinApps, if it makes a difference it would provide some insight.

0 Kudos
GeoffN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Once I tested on a 'clean' machine everything seems to work as expected, checking the ThinApp agent client log file I found that the applictions that were not published in the start menu had a log entry indicating that the package is already installed. I'm guessing I would need to cleanup/delete something on the desktop/user profile to fix this.

0 Kudos
MMAgeek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having the same issue, brand new Workspace 1.5 with agent 1.5.1 and this is across all machines.

The thinapp.exe and .dat files are downloaded but the shortcuts are not registered.

I ran a trace log and for some reason it says the following:

[hzntaclnt::InstallDb::DoInstallFile] File not launchable: thinreg skipped

but all the entries after that make it appear that the file is installed so it doesnt try to run thinreg again. i have attached the trace log to this post

If i manually run thinreg from the C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Horizon ThinApp folder it registers the Thinapp shortcuts correctly

I have tried setting the reg key for DesktopRefresh to 2 also with no luck

0 Kudos
levans1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The log file says that thinreg worked for the exe file (when it was first synced), but was skipped for the dat file (which is normal). Are you using non-persistent VDI desktops by any chance, and/or roaming profiles? There is known issue that the thinreg 'database' is part of the user's roaming profile, which can cause issues (see VMware KB:    Using VMware ThinApp packages with non-persistent Floating Pools in VMware Horizon Vie...). Maybe you could also check to see if anything exists for the app under %AppData%\Thinstall\Unregister, before the Horizon ThinApp agent attempts to sync it.

0 Kudos
MMAgeek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

we are using roaming profiles, with non-persistent and persistent desktops. The local appdata folder is included in roaming and thinapp folders are set to background download - however inoted that article doesnt refer to the locations for the Workspace ThinApp stuff.

What folders should i exclude from roaming for Workspace? I don't want to exclude the entire appdata/local folder.

I have also tried this by completely removing the prfole from the windows 7 client, and removing any network copies so it creates a completely new one. The issue still is there

0 Kudos
MMAgeek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

for test purposes i tried using the 1.5 client and this downloaded and registed the thinapps without any issue

0 Kudos