VMware Workspace ONE Community
wbelvin
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade Windows 2012 to Windows 2019 for the Airwatch product

WorkSpace One

Has anyone ever upgrade the underlying OS for AirWatch?  Our product is currently sitting on Windows 2012 servers and I need to move the product to Windows 2019.  I have been looking for information and I have contacted support without success.  If anyone can point me in the proper direction for documentation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
KevinKrumm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's a good question - I'm in the same boat. I doubt support would be able to help with that. Every interaction I have had with them has been very little if any help. Best to check mac admins slack - workspace one channel. 

0 Kudos
wbelvin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi KevinKrumm,

Thanks for the information!!!!

0 Kudos
Noordan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,
When you need to do an upgrade of the application server OS, I would suggest you to install a new server with the new OS. And then when installing the airwatch application on that.

0 Kudos
KevinKrumm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, that is best practice with Windows Servers. IMHO it sucks that in 2021 with windows you can do an upgrade to the newest os version. But it's not recommended. Also if you do make a new server then you have to re-enroll all your devices. For me, that's 14,000 devices! 

Noordan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Why would you have to re enroll your devices when just change to a new application server?
Just keep the database.

0 Kudos
TommyThomassen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As mentioned, you should set up 2 (or more) new DS servers with 2019 OS.
Then install same version as the other ones with same certificates. When ready, you can switch in the load balancers to new servers, and verify connectivity.
Re enroll devices is only when changing the public FQDN they are enrolled to, and that won't change.

Also good to start fresh, which could kill some other small issues on servers. 🙂

psiwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have upgraded OS 2008 to 2012 Win for 12K devices.

VMware will not provide advice on upgrading underlying OS version. This is MS product and not theirs. They will say no. I have been through that.

In place Windows upgrade is a hit and miss. Not reliable doing this on a production environment. Tried that. It would be nice if it did work it would save all the networking changes.

Best approach is:

1. Build all new 2019 servers and all the WS1 pre-reqs installed and configured for all your CS, DS and DB. Give them new server names and Temp IP address. This includes your certs, Java, IIS, .NET, etc etc.

2. Get a copy of the DB onto the new DB sever

3. Install CS and DS and point them to the copy DB on the new DB sever. That is to ensure that the CS, DS and DB servers can all link up nicely. You won't be able to manage any devices as it is not hooked onto your external DS address.

4. Plan for any network changes such as NLB, IP address.

5. Make sure IIS on DS and CS is turned off and disabled and or DS and CS removed from NLB. Shutdown all CS and DS.  Move the DB to the new DB sever. Make sure DB name is the same as the copy DB already existing on the new DB server. Shut old DB server down. Swap DB servers IP. Start up new CS, swap IP with old CS. Enable and Start IIS on CS. Ensure you can open the console and and login. Do the same for DS. And finally re-add DS and CS to any NLB that you have removed them from. They should all come up.

6.Don't forget to update your DNS entries with your new 2019 server names and IP addresses.

NB: For DB migration from OLD to NEW server, there is a doc from VMware. You will need your DBA and WINTEL guys to help.

That is a brief outline of your upgrade process but you need to plan carefully every detail to ensure your are not leaving anything out. Also perform each of the steps in the correct order.

Good luck.

ababkov
Contributor
Contributor

I have upgraded in place Device and Console servers from Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2019. After the upgrade you will need to install .Net Framework 4.8. Airwatch version is 2105. Your version may require different .Net Framework.

0 Kudos
Helena1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ababkov,
can you share your experience and describe the exact steps?

I have a similar situation and need to upgrade my UEM server (DS and CS together) from Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2019.
Unfortunately, I have no way to configure a second application server (DS or CS) with LB.

Thanks

0 Kudos