VMware Workspace ONE Community
akrowczynski
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade OS AW Server

Hello all,

some of our AurWatch Services (Console, Device) are still running in Windows 2008 R2.
Now we would like to set up new servers (Windows Server 2016) and migrate all services.

Did someone have experience with this, or performed this tasks in the past?

Thanks for some feedback

Greetings
Arkadiusz
Labels (1)
10 Replies
Vestengen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Install those services on the 2016 server and point to the database.
If you run the installer on the old serveres first you can export a config and use that config on the new servers.
You should have the certificates ready.
When the new servers is installer change the port forwarding/dns to point to the new server.
Turn off the old server.
JessieKropp
Contributor
Contributor

Our organization is currently looking at doing the same thing. Out AW db is also on a Win2K8 R2 server. Would it be advised to move the SQL db first?
0 Kudos
Vestengen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As long as you keep the version it should not matter if you move db first or after. I would probably moved the db first just to have an extra db backup.
This is the guide to move the db:
https://resources.workspaceone.com/view/fwr38r8dmngblwqxlq8l/en
0 Kudos
JohnMooreJohnMo
Contributor
Contributor

Slightly related, but my group is looking to upgrade our SQL environment and currently our Airwatch database is sitting on SQL 2012.  Our team wants to upgrade the SQL to a newer version, ideally 2017. 
Currently our On Prem Airwatch is on 1810.
What is the highest SQL version we can upgrade the database up to?
Thanks
0 Kudos
akrowczynski
Contributor
Contributor

Petter V. thank you for your answer related to the OS migration, but one thing that I am not sure about is, if we install the new 2016 Server, that will have for sure new DNS names, will we the have problems afterwards?

As for example the Console Server is now ' AWCS01'  and the new one will be named ' AWCS02' ..

Thank you for feedback here.
0 Kudos
Vestengen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I recommend that you use a custom dns name like console.domain.com and redirect. You can change under system and urls. Else you can Just change dns for your server awcs01 that point to awcs02. I recommend to change it to a custom name. This can also be change later. Remember to change urls for api etc that is also running on your old console server
0 Kudos
KonstantinosLei
Contributor
Contributor

Hey @Peter V. Looks like you have done this before so can you maybe provide a few more details regarding the process? Also, by ' You should have the certificates ready' , which certificates are you referring to?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Vestengen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi
All your settings and devices is stored in the DB. What you're actually do when you install a new server is to point the applications (Device and Console Server) to the old database.
It's very simular to upgrade.
If you run the installer on your old server first you can select to export your settings to a file. Use that one when you install the applications on the new servers.
You need your certificate for IIS and AWCM, that is probably your external sertificate.
0 Kudos
KonstantinosLei
Contributor
Contributor

Wow. Sounds too simple to be true 🙂 Is it any different if the same has to be performed for a SEG, a MAG (relay/endpoint) and a Content Gateway (replay/endpoint)? I think I would start with the database first, what do you think?
0 Kudos
Vestengen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is kind of simple. Move the DB first. Keep your old servers running.
SEG, MAG, Content servers is usually pointed to the API service. If you use DNS it's as simple as changeing DNS record.

0 Kudos