VMware Workspace ONE Community
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Upcoming Enhancements to Managing User Installed iOS Apps

https://support.workspaceone.com/articles/360024589933-Upcoming-Enhancements-to-Managing-User-Instal...

If I understand this correctly, any published app previously installed by the user from the App Store prior to it being published to the catalog will automatically be managed in the next release of the console WITHOUT requiring the user to download the same app again from the catalog.

Take Yammer as an example, the user may already have it installed from the App Store before we publish it to the catalog. Under the new console version, the user will automatically get prompted to accept management by AirWatch even when ' App Delivery Method'  is set to ON DEMAND.

To avoid such prompt, the recommendation per AirWatch is to uncheck “Make MDM Managed if User Installed.”

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
callegrafi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting.. Will this apply to the built in Apple apps like iMovie and Garageband on a new ipad? Now the user always need to reinstall those apps from our app catalog.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Carl, this is for public apps or apps imported from Apple Business Manager, not native apps.

Users will not need to re-install the apps from your app catalog. Instead, they will get prompted to accept management regardless of the delivery method set for such apps.
0 Kudos
callegrafi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That sounds good to me! 🙂
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

From VMware support:

Our product team is still testing and working on this implementation on some 1905 environments so there is no known future version as yet where this feature will be fully implemented. There is a feature request with which this implementation is being tracked.

The feature request number is PR-192955. Let me know if there are any queries on this,
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Interesting Thomas. What happens when they leave the company, I am pushing a configuration out and want it to be removed at the time of their separation and e-wipe is initiated? If I do not have that ' make MDM managed if user installed'  turned on, it will not remove the app or config from their device correct?
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

right, it will not be removed if it is not managed.
0 Kudos
JohnMarler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just curious - what is the use case of having a app that is managed in the console, but you do not want it to prompt users with existing installs of that app to make it managed on the device?
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Just theorizing you could say you don't want to take over an app someone has been using unmanaged and somehow wipe the data out of it. I'm grasping though 🙂
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Hi all,

Guess what, I totally forgot about this before upgrading my SaaS console to 1907 yesterday.

I'm going to hide in the corner while the phone continues to ring...
0 Kudos