VMware Workspace ONE Community
KevinKrumm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This forum

This forum has really has gone downhill nobody post answers or helps. Just wanted to let everyone know to go to the mac admins slack channel and join the workspace one channel way better people and answers. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
vmwaresway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hey Kevin - we appreciate the feedback and take it seriously.

I can tell you that we're always looking at how to beef up and better support this forum. As you know the WS1 community has a long history on a previous forum platform and with a strong community that was already established on Slack. We try to support the community wherever they're located. Although we're seeing the engagement tick up on the WS1 forums here, there's still a lot of room for improvement. We hope that you see that over time.

Josue Fontanez
Sr. Product Line Manager, VMware
Check out www.techzone.vmware.com
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A couple of my thoughts since we're on the topic 🙂

A lot of users (including myself) did not migrate very smoothly over to this forum.  A few months later, I was wondering why I was no longer getting updates on new topics, etc.  Then I figured out what happened.

The email notifications are formatted very badly compared to the old forum.  The styling and layout (font choice/size, too, perhaps) of the notifications on the old forum was a lot better in my opinion, which made it easier to read and digest the email notifications.  I don't know - it just felt more inviting.

The weekly digest for this forum I find particularly hard to read and process.  Again, I think it's a combination of font, size, color, design, etc.

I'm going to have to dig around to find the channel for app update notifications.  When the forums switched, I also stopped getting those, and I keep getting caught off-guard by design changes to apps like Content...

I am trying to participate in discussions, but I feel these new forums are not as easy to navigate/conducive to collaboration as the old ones.  The community here doesn't feel as tight, warm, or modern for a host of reasons.

JoeTingley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Agreed on all points above. I used to get easy-to-read emails with all the major topics of the week formatted nicely as links. I could quickly read through and identify the ones that affected me, and click the link directly to get the information quickly.

Also agree that the format of this forum creates a lot of blank space that requires you to scroll a lot. Between replies, between subjects.

0 Kudos
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The emails are pretty bad - almost all of the font is the same color.  Links are always underlined, which my eyes avoid reading.  There are no pictures, graphics, design elements or anything to make it look nice.  Compared to the old AW forums, it really is a step back about 10 years in terms of user/eye-friendly design.

These forums are similar - when you reply, you can't always see the whole conversation.  Everything is white-background which is not as nice as the other forum (there's some blue and grey colors to soften things a bit and give some mood).  IDK.  I guess I really liked the other platform.  Conversations were better.  People had personalities and some fun posts here and there.  It felt like a community.  This just doesn't feel the same, and it's challenging to find things, etc.

I don't like the KB as much either.  Also not as visually-friendly or easy to find what you want... Maybe what I want doesn't exist any more?  There's not the granularity of forums/KB between some of the AW components as there used to be either.  There's not a section for discussing the apps vs the server vs security vs...

There.  Now I've given more than 2 cents lol.

0 Kudos
vmwaresway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks everyone for the feedback. In many ways I agree with the feedback. I've collated it and sent it to the corporate leadership team that owns the VMTN platform to see how we can make this better for all of you. There's clear feedback that I hope we can act on with regards to fonts, graphics, white space, and email notifications.

Feel free to continue to share here what we can do to make this better. And if you want to get on a call to discuss even further, I'd be happy to do that. My email address fontanezj at vmware dot com.

Josue Fontanez
0 Kudos
EricPlent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Somewhat related, is there an official VMWare app (Android) which can be used to read/respond to messages in this forum? I am not always seated in front of my PC and would like the ability to browse the forums on my mobile if possible. The mobile version of the web page was not a terrific option the last time I tried it. 

0 Kudos
vmwaresway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not the last time I checked. I'll verify with the corporate team to see if this is something coming soon.

Josue Fontanez
0 Kudos
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I figured out one of the things that is missing... On the old site, it used to be that portions or all of KB articles, including some pictures, would be included in the subscription emails so that it was easy to see what had changed, in say, a product release notes page.  Understood that the KB articles are now on a completely separate system than the forum now, but that is some more detail I just thought of.

0 Kudos
corey_r
Community Manager
Community Manager

Couple of updates from this post. The following have been completed.

• Email template graphics for HTML emails.
  • Email links no longer have underlines.
  • Text based emails are now consistent with messaging
  • Font has been updated across VMTN to match vmware.com.
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@corey_r 

Things are starting to look better!

I disagree about underlined links, though...  Please see attachment.

I also have mixed feelings about the amount of margin around the message body.  It might be more than necessary.  I use a vertical preview pane in my email client, and it doesn't always fit really well.  Other users might not find that to be a problem though.  However, I do like it being offset a bit from the title, etc.  Makes it easier to digest.

Also like the font changes.

0 Kudos
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The bullet list from your last update also did not survive.  See attachment.

0 Kudos
corey_r
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looks like a couple of templates didn't push to prod. They have been updated, let me know if you see otherwise but I'm seeing them work here. Not sure why the bullets are not working, I'll look into it. 

0 Kudos
corey_r
Community Manager
Community Manager

Can you forward the email to me? cromero@vmware.com

0 Kudos