VMware Workspace ONE Community
alouie397
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Supervised Device(DEP) IOS Update

To anyone if I push out and IOS Update for a DEP device by going to More Actions-IOS update.
Does it automatically and silently  install the update after it finish downloading or does it ask the user if he or she wants to update and the user has to click on the device to ok the update. Also I presume there is no way to schedule the ios update.

Thank you
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
0kearnes0
Contributor
Contributor

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-AirWatch/9.1/vmware-airwatch-guides-91/GUID-AW91-ManagingOSUpdates...

Query for OS Updates (iOS 9+ devices)
Navigate to Devices > List View > Select Device > More > Query > OS Update.
On the Details View page, select the Summary tab and find the Device Info box to determine if an update is available for the selected device. Available OS Updates appears in the box if an update is available. If not, None indicates that there are no updates.
Schedule an OS Update (iOS 9+ DEP+Supervised devices)
Navigate to Devices > List View > Select Device > More > Schedule OS Update. A message box appears.
Select OK to send the command to push the OS update on the device.
View the OS Update Status on the Details View page. Select Refresh as needed to update the OS Update Status and Download Percentage of the update. When the update process is complete, None appears in the Device Info box.
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

After the query finds there is an updated iOS to install, selecting More Actions - Management - iOS Update, presents you with a dialog to select from these choices:
' Download/Install the software update'  This will do the install as soon as it is done downloading so it can be a surprise for the user if not prepared!
' Download the software update but do not install it' 
' Install an already downloaded software update'  This will also do it immediately so the user needs to be warned if using the device.
0 Kudos
alouie397
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank Rich B, so basically for choices 1 and 3 you would need to info the user that the update is happening whether you like it or not and it will reboot the device.

Option 2 downloads the update but the user has to click on the software update to automatically install it. Following the instruction from Kevin it looks like I can do an update on a single IOS device as a test.

0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes that is correct.
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

BTW, I'm on version 9.7 which removed the word ' Schedule'  before ' iOS Update'  but the concept is the same (More Actions - Management - iOS Update).
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/9.7/vmware-airwatch-guides-97/GUID-AW97-Managing...

The same wording is in 1902 menus and the procedure is now described as ' Force iOS Updates' :
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/1902/iOS_Platform/GUID-AWT-MANAGINGOSUPDATES.htm...
0 Kudos
JohnCharette
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to select the non-latest iOS update?  Currently 12.4 is released, but what if I want to push 12.3.2?
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Apple supports it and added it most of a year ago, AirWatch does not support it for some reason
0 Kudos