VMware Workspace ONE Community
EricMartinez
Contributor
Contributor

Strange Public App Behavior

Seeing some strange behavior from one our iOS apps that we deploy as a Public app.

Here is what is going on, we push the RingCentral app as a Public app from WS1 to a Corporate Dedicated enrolled iPhone. We open the Photos app to select a photo and try to share it. We dont see the RingCentral app as an available app you can share with. However, if I remove the RingCentral app and then install it directly from the App Store and try the same thing, the RingCentral app is available.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

check your managed open in restrictions

EricMartinez
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if you mean check if Managed Access is enabled or if Managed if User installed is enabled? Both of these are enabled.

0 Kudos
ogushia
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Perhaps you have published a restriction profile and disabled the following settings:

ogushia_2-1609932243059.png

0 Kudos
EricMartinez
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ogushia,

Yeah I checked that and its is disabled. I tested this on a test device with no restrictions payload applied and got the same weird behavior.

0 Kudos
EricMartinez
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware got back to me on this behavior and I figured I would share their response:

Workspace ONE can utilize the iOS 13 and later containerization via an APFS encrypted volume under User Enrollment as detailed on page 17 of our iOS Platform Dock: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/2008/WS1_iOS_Platform_Doc.pdf

However, this appears to be more related to the default iOS Share Sheet behavior in iOS 12 vs 13 and later. This same behavior is seen utilizing Apple Configurator 2 to install apps on iOS devices not enrolled with Workspace ONE. AC2 uses the same Apple MDM APIs that Workspace ONE relies on.

With MDM deployment outside Workspace ONE, iOS 12 devices exhibit this same behavior with Zoom and other apps that can have photos sharing entitlements. The Share Sheet does not display them by default when deployed through MDM but does display by default when downloaded from the App Store. During my tests, I did not observe this different behavior on iOS 14.