VMware Workspace ONE Community
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Standard practice for creating smart group that applies to both iOS and Android devices

If you are to create a smart group to be used for both iOS and Android, do you:

1) create a separate group for each platform?

2) use the same group for both platforms?

I'm leaning toward using a single smart group for both with the reason that whatever apps/profiles will only apply to specific platform anyway. 

Thought?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
M4dawin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Thomas,

I use groups separately per platform just for easier visibility, although I don't see why you couldn't use just one. Although most of the time, I apply profiles to OG, and just use smart groups for apps.

BTW - nice to meet you, I took over your position in G&C 🙂

0 Kudos
JeremyMooney
Contributor
Contributor

We had combined iOS and Android into one OG initially but we are moving away from that as it is recommended by VMware to have a separate OG for Android Enterprise devices.  We do not have a large amount of Android devices so we are having our users unenroll and re-enroll into the Android Enterprise OG. 
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I do not use platform based groups. All of mine are either AD Group or OG based.
0 Kudos
RicardoPachecoR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did use them platform based back on 2014. Over the last couple of years, I map them to match AD user groups on a 1:1. Then, I assign profiles and apps using the SG. 
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Thanks, everyone!

Darwin - Thanks for the tip and welcome to the G&C family. I'm sure they are now in good hands with you on board. Feel free to reach out if I can help in any way.

Jeremy - I would have done the same, but there's no telling when the OG may have iOS devices in the future so to me I want to remain flexible.

Elizabeth - I'm leaning toward the same.
0 Kudos
JohnMarler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We do 2 - use the same group for both platforms. It has not been a problem
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Thanks, John. I hope you are doing well.

I guess there's no right or wrong answer really to this or any other setup. it would be a personal preference.
I recalled my Citrix admin once told me setting up a dedicated server for a standalone virtual desktop for each user just because 'they can'.
0 Kudos
FHLB
Contributor
Contributor

We have 4 smart groups, but they cover both IOS and Android for all 4. prod/test and BYOD prod/test. You are right, the android profiles will only apply to android and IOS to IOS. So when setting it up I never saw the need to break them down further, to me that just made ' more things to check and configure'  correctly. due to different policies is why i ended up with 4 instead of just prod and test.

otherwise yeah, there's no right or wrong.
0 Kudos