VMware Workspace ONE Community
JuhiB
Contributor
Contributor

Single app mode in iPads

I want one app to be installed in multiple iPads, like single App mode. These iPads will be transferred in remote locations and I want to update application remotely. I am new to VMWare workspace One, so I don't know much about it. I have read about airwatch agents also but don't know from where to start. I would appreciate if you could guide me to the process/links to achieve this.

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
rterakedis
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

JuhiB​ -  Here's the "happy path" on setting this up (assuming these devices will be full-time Single-App Mode:

• Enroll in Apple Business Manager (ABM) and ensure the devices are purchased through Apple (or a reseller) and tied to your ABM customer ID.
  • Set up ABM integrations in Workspace ONE UEM:
    • Set up your automated enrollment profile to enroll the devices to a single basic user (or skip authentication completely depending on your security requirements).  Apply the automated enrollment profile to the correct set of devices.
    • Set up your Location Token from Apple Business Manager and purchase licenses for the app you want in Single App Mode
      • Alternatively, upload the "enterprise app" you'll be distributing for Single App Mode
  • Assign the app to the devices (or the user) using "Device-Based" licensing (so no Apple ID is required).
  • Assign a profile to the iOS devices that set the app into Single App Mode.
  • As needed, update the app (by uploading a new enterprise app, or by telling UEM to check the ABM for a new version.

Once you do that, iOS will handle background updates for the apps by locking out the user from the device while the app updates.  

RicardoPachecoR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

(few) Words of caution with Single App Mode on iPad with Wi-Fi only - 

We have multiple locations across Houston, Texas. Some can be ~40 miles away from my location. Setting up Single app mode on an iPad with Wi-Fi only, can be something good, but it can also be something not so good. 

Good -

You will have great control over the actions a user can take, update the app, etc. 

Bad -

A few things that could go bad under certain conditions (Wi-Fi networks availability, on-site support, Wi-Fi networks defined)

Depending on how many Wi-Fi networks you have available at your remote location, and how many (Wi-Fi networks) you have configured, the iPad will need to make a decision on which one to join.

With a single network configured (whitelisted, or not), but multiple available at the remote location, if the one defined goes down or is not available, your iPad will be useless. You won't be able to do anything until the device is able to join the defined Wi-Fi. Anyone trying to do remote site support will not be able to anything either as the iPad is in single app mode. 

If Single app mode is a must, and you will have someone to assist with support at your remote location, I would recommend for you to define your Wi-Fi network, and a second one as a Hotspot. SSID: my.support Password: <whatever> and check auto-join. Doing this gives you an alternate way to access the device. The onsite person can change her/his phone's Hotspot to my.support and enter the password you have defined. . Enable Hotspot on it. This will allow the iPad to connect, you will then be able to remove the restrictions profile that will grant access to the onsite support person to assist you in troubleshooting.

Otherwise, Wi-Fi network down, or iPad simply unable to join a secure corporate wireless network (due to time stamp on device mismatching current local time after iPad was off for a long time with a discharged battery) will leave you without options to do anything remotely. 

0 Kudos
HugePan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi rterakedis

Are you sure that the iOS will handle the app update if a new version of that app is pushed through VPP (ABM)?

We are currently facing this issue that apps running in Single App Mode need a reboot or just a screen lock in order to get the updates installed.

Do you have any more information on that?

Best regards

Arian

0 Kudos