VMware Workspace ONE Community
K223
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Secure Launcher Update

I'm curious, If you have secure launcher v.4.9 for example and it get's pushed to assigned devices from the MDM.  Will the launcher or does the launcher have the capability to get auto updated on the device?  Or will it stay at the version that was pushed from the MDM until you update the version on the MDM? 

Under Service Applications, we have Require Service App checked off, But not Push Service App from the Play Store.  Always use the latest Version of AirWatch Launcher is checked off as well.

Just trying to narrow down the behavior.  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It will always use the latest version hosted from the console in that configuration.  I do not recommend this, as periodically there are broken versions.  I prefer to test everything thoroughly before pushing the latest and greatest to users.  Also, sometimes there are significant visual changes, and I would rather see those and have the opportunity to give users advanced notice.

There are people on each side of the "use latest version" debate, but I always advise to not use the latest version by default for production users, because we got burned with various updates which either crashed or had security flaws.  It is somewhat tedious to roll back the version.  You have to manually set the old version, then remove the profile.  Then you have to remove the app, which might require effort by the end user or other local staff, depending on your device's silent install support.  Then you re-push the profile to send the older, less-buggy version to the device.  Inevitably, there will be stragglers, even if you try to do this in bulk.  Not fun, particularly for deployments with hundreds or thousands of devices.

I have not used the push service app from Play Store option, so I cannot comment there.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So I am possibly confused by your use of "check off" and "check on"...

If "Always use latest version..." is checked, the MDM will push the latest version that came with that console release.  If 4.9 is the latest version you can select, that will be the one which is pushed.  If you uncheck that box and select 4.9 from the dropdown, then the effect would be the same.  However, you could also pick an older version.  The device tries to install the package, and if it's newer than whatever is installed on the device, it will be updated.

I have not tested the behavior if the "Push service app from Play Store" box is checked.  My assumption is that newer versions of the app might be on the Play Store, so it might mean that using this could push the newer version to your devices in that OG, but I don't know.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It will always use the latest version hosted from the console in that configuration.  I do not recommend this, as periodically there are broken versions.  I prefer to test everything thoroughly before pushing the latest and greatest to users.  Also, sometimes there are significant visual changes, and I would rather see those and have the opportunity to give users advanced notice.

There are people on each side of the "use latest version" debate, but I always advise to not use the latest version by default for production users, because we got burned with various updates which either crashed or had security flaws.  It is somewhat tedious to roll back the version.  You have to manually set the old version, then remove the profile.  Then you have to remove the app, which might require effort by the end user or other local staff, depending on your device's silent install support.  Then you re-push the profile to send the older, less-buggy version to the device.  Inevitably, there will be stragglers, even if you try to do this in bulk.  Not fun, particularly for deployments with hundreds or thousands of devices.

I have not used the push service app from Play Store option, so I cannot comment there.

0 Kudos
K223
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok so just to recap.  And I agree with vetting new versions before deploying them.  You can easily be caught off guard with issue's.  While security is import, it should be up to you to test these new versions timely and decide if they are right for your organization.

So having version say 4.9 of the secure launcher on the console and if I have checked off always use the latest version of airwatch launcher under the service apps settings.  The mdm will and can only update to this 4.9 version correct?  I realize it will update older versions for better or worse.  So to automatically have a newer version pushed out than say the 4.9 I have on the console, would be check off push service app from the play store?  

Thanks

0 Kudos
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So I am possibly confused by your use of "check off" and "check on"...

If "Always use latest version..." is checked, the MDM will push the latest version that came with that console release.  If 4.9 is the latest version you can select, that will be the one which is pushed.  If you uncheck that box and select 4.9 from the dropdown, then the effect would be the same.  However, you could also pick an older version.  The device tries to install the package, and if it's newer than whatever is installed on the device, it will be updated.

I have not tested the behavior if the "Push service app from Play Store" box is checked.  My assumption is that newer versions of the app might be on the Play Store, so it might mean that using this could push the newer version to your devices in that OG, but I don't know.

0 Kudos
K223
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes you summed it up.  I was referring to the Service Apps settings page and enabling certain functions.  I'm clear on the functionality now.  Thanks

0 Kudos
kenmcclure
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have just been burned by this Launcher update happening as it was always using the latest version. The jump from v4.8 to v21.09 has added a search bar to the top of the launcher and skewed the custom background I had going on.

Looking at the release notes it says this search bar is optional but no explanation of where the option is. Anyone know how to remove it? Rather not roll everything back when this is the only issue.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos