VMware Workspace ONE Community
NateDhamers
Contributor
Contributor

Searching for devices without tags

Since building smart groups by a particular model type is a request too challenging for the dev team the suggestions is that we use tags to building groups.  This might work however we can not search for new devices that do not have tags or sort the device list for by tags.   Making it more than a bit frustrating to manually find and adjust these devices.

Anyone have some ideas on to accomplish this since we are not getting any useful help from the folks at VM?

This is one area in need of much improvement...  either fix the ability to make smart groups by model or fix the ability to sort by ' no tags'  and the ability to sort on tags.  
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Robert_P
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nate,

The only way I was able to sort for tags is by Exporting a .xlsx report from the Device List View and then filtering. But, yes it would be a whole lot easier and helpful to be able to sort in the list view.

0 Kudos
SaschaBennertz
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys,

you can also use the filter options / tags / tag name to list devices having a specific tag.

The model smartgroup feature is an active and valid feature request and according to our VM rep this is planned for Q1 next year release. We are asking this question regarding automated tagging during enrollment or to having the model feature in SG now since ages 🙂 Finally it will come.

Have a great day.
Sascha
0 Kudos
NateDhamers
Contributor
Contributor

Sascha & Robert - we do to have a working method now!   We can't keep putting this off and it's not like we can put a pause on the schools until VMware can get around to releasing a function that it should of had years ago sometime (maybe) in the future whenever they get around to it?

At the very least we need a way to search for devices that do not have tags today.   Taking things out in Excel is basically useless with the number of devices we are talking about - we are not going to go add tags one at a time. 
0 Kudos
SaschaBennertz
Contributor
Contributor

Okay I understand, we are also missing this feature. It will be available Q1 next year, for sure.  Are you on prem or saas environment ? If on prem you can query this directly from the database. Devices without any or a specific tag. Btw, we do a lot directly with the database, also regarding reporting, e.g. special custom attributes, OS Patch level  etc.

Let me know if I can assist you here.
BR,
Sascha.
0 Kudos
NateDhamers
Contributor
Contributor

We are on CN157.
When exactly when this environment be updated to have this basic functionality working?
What can you do in the meantime to get this to work?
0 Kudos
JamieAndersonJa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you switch your Device List view to Custom, it will add a Tag column. Sadly it doesn't let you sort but you can see which devices don't have tags w/o having to export a list
0 Kudos
NateDhamers
Contributor
Contributor

Jamie-
We know how to spot the random devices that are not tagged however we are not going to click over 100 pages searching for the devices.

Is there anyone working over there that has ever had use this product in production?  It seems that there is a real issue with understanding what a useful/functional work around might be when a much needed function isn't currently available.

If you would like to add the tags for us that would be appreciated - there are only like 9 models that we need to have done and I can provide the search query for each model and then you can tag them one at a time. 

We will see need a way to search for the devices without tags when you are done to identify any new registered devices so those can get manually put into a tagged smart group.

0 Kudos