VMware Workspace ONE Community
rsmythe
Contributor
Contributor

Scripts functionality requires Intelligent Hub 20.10 and Workflow Engine 20.10 for macOS.

Hi,

does anyone know how the "Workflow Engine 20.10" gets implemented? My org wants scripts written, but we don't yet see how to go about this using our Workspace One UEM.

Q1: is there more than one Workspace One console?

Q2: Should we be able to find a GUI'd or CL'd implementation of the "Workflow Engine 20.10 function? Do we need to download a tool somewhere? 

Your quick reply is very much appreciated!

Roger Smythe

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Noordan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Rsmythe,

I think the new scripting functionality is still in preview and are not made available yet. What console version are you running?
When it is made available you will find it in your WS1 UEM console under "resources".

You can find the Workflow engine, that is required for MacOS, here: https://resources.workspaceone.com/view/cn8y69v3j32dq9ztbllx/en 
Just distribute it like an application to your MacOS devices

0 Kudos
rsmythe
Contributor
Contributor

thank you very much for this info. So one presumes that *without* this workflowd file installed, any WS1 managed Mac will therefore not respond to scripts sent to it? 

Our default Mac screensaver value appears to be 3-5 minutes since project rollout. This of course is far to restrictive, and end users are unhappy with this. When we lookup the payload settings for our screensaver, all we see is a checkbox style behavior, its either on or off. No bueno. We need to be able to control this, but the payload GUI seems to offer no further choice. There appears to also be no where to input a script or plist to modify behavior, so how is this done with WS1?

0 Kudos
Noordan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

yes it is correct that a MacOS Device without Workflow engine not will respond to scripts from the new script engine or respond on workflows that are assigned.

If you have to get this fixed before the new script engine are made GA, I would check either custom settings within a profile payload or Provisioning with some Files/actions where you also can publish script to the device. You will probably be able to import these scripts to the new script engine in the future.

0 Kudos
rsmythe
Contributor
Contributor

is there any timeline to when the scripting functions may be enabled? 

What does GA standard for? 

What will the updated Resources panel look like? (Ive attached the pane from our current UEM).

How do we determine which version of UEM we are on?

Thanks for all your assistance!

0 Kudos
Noordan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

GA stands for General available.
And what I have read in the FAQ for freestyle orchestrator that function (which I think should include the new scripting engine) will be released in Q2 2021 in SaaS and Q3 2021 for On-prem.
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81163 

It looks like you have the "old" resource pane. I have attached a screenshot from the new one that currently only are available beta-tenants.

You can find your version if you click on "about" that you find at the bottom of your left hand side when you are logged in to the console.

newResourcePane.PNG

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
rsmythe
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this info, very helpful. 

0 Kudos