VMware Workspace ONE Community
ScaryLarry_12
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung Tablet Security Flaw?

Hello, all

Someone at my company put one of our corporate tablets into airplane mode. We just recently deployed the tablets and I tried to wrap my head around how they were able to do that and eventually was able to replicate it.

I rebooted the tablet and before entering the security pin, I swiped down from the top of the screen and was able to access the settings menu and there was airplane mode (pic attached).

Is there any way to block that from being accessed moving forward?

Thanks in advance

-Larry

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am assuming that you are not using the launcher product? If not, blocking the notification bar from working will be a challenge but I believe you might be able to do it with a custom XML code. Worth a shot.... ?? If you are using the launcher, then you can absolutely block that from happening. with this XML below and by deselecting it in the launcher profile settings.

<characteristic type="com.airwatch.android.androidwork.launcher" uuid="568bc89d-1df8-4ce9-a041-e5a24acdb7ec">

<parm name="AllowNotificationBar" value="False"/>

</characteristic>

ScaryLarry_12
Contributor
Contributor

We do have a Launcher profile within the console and I did experiment with the just turning off the notification bar, but our userbase will moan they can't see if things have downloaded properly or if their files sync to OneDrive (users, right?).

The access to the tablets settings I speak of, happens when you reboot the device and swipe downwards from the top of the home screen. Only one of the stores out of all 43 we have had someone accidentally activated airplane mode.

Could this possibly be happening because we do not have a Samsung Knox Restrictions Profile??

We used to have one, but for whatever reason we couldn't get the tablets to update to the latest security patches. So, a VMWare rep told us to remove it entirely. Which, I am skeptical was the reason the Android and Samsung updates weren't pushing through.

0 Kudos