VMware Workspace ONE Community
VirtualSven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

SSO to vSphere Web Client from Workspace?

Is it possible to create an application shortcut in Horizon Workspace that automatically logs in to vSphere Web Client? Maybe through SAML or logged on credentials?

Sven Huisman VMware vExpert 2009-2016 Twitter: @svenh blog: svenhuisman.com
0 Kudos
6 Replies
nonsparker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would like to know if this is possible as well

Twitter @thickguythinapp
Website thickguythinapp.com
0 Kudos
freythman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know this is an older thread, but I am very much interested in this as well. I do see that the SSO Server supports SAML, but I have yet to find any documentation on how to enable SSO between Workspace and the vSphere Web Client.

0 Kudos
sravuri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We will look into it. I am curious as to the use case. Isn't vSphere web client mostly only used by administrators in the company. That must be small number of people, correct? Why is SSO from workspace such an important use case for it.

Mostly we see SSO requests to consumer apps like Saleforce, webex etc.. that is why I am curious

0 Kudos
freythman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's definitely not a large use case for us. We have (maybe) 30 or so user who would utilize it, and I'm being asked to add the web client as an option, and if possible to include SSO. If it isn't possible, then the most likely answer is to just have them install the integration plugin for their browser and let vSphere SSO handle it.

This definitely isn't a priority for us, but has been requested of me as something that would "be nice" to have, so don't sweat it too much.

0 Kudos
VirtualSven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's not a large use case, but for a PoC with Horizon Workspace it could be an easy application to show SSO with Workspace.

Sven Huisman VMware vExpert 2009-2016 Twitter: @svenh blog: svenhuisman.com
0 Kudos
tonydan
Contributor
Contributor

Any answer to this..   I am interested and i bet everyone if interested in this.

vsphere web client is not a high use app.. it's just a test case app that if we figure out how to do with this app .. it opens the world for a ton of other web  apps. unless we get that world open workspace is not as interesting to customers

remember .. many times when we  are demo'ing and POCing we are working with the Admins in a company and they ALL need access to vsphere web client

there seems to be 3 methods i have found in workspace documents that ref way to enable web apps.

SAML

WS-fed

and no SSO

see statement in admin guide

If you configure the Web application to use a federation protocol, use SAML 1.1, SAML 2.0, or WSFederation 1.2. However, you have the option of configuring the Web application to not use a

federation protocol at all.

we need into on how to enable these apps from the horizon side and from the app side

thanks.. very excite with the 1.8 release !!!!

0 Kudos