VMware Workspace ONE Community
philrm77
Contributor
Contributor

SMS - Work Profile Separation

Is it possible to separate out SMS text messages on BYOD devices with work profile?

Our users receive SMS messages which can sometimes contain sensitive information. Is it possible for the device to recognise messages from contacts within the work profile and place those messages in the SMS app that is installed under the work profile?

At the moment all incoming SMS messages are correctly recognised as work contacts (identified by the padlock icon), but they are placed in the messaging application in the personal area of the phone. I'd like to be able to keep these messages within the work profile for security purposes, and so that they can be wiped as part of the work profile wipe in the event of a lost or stolen device. Is this at all possible?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SMS is not a secure method to send data to begin with I do not know of any way to do this and would suggest moving to a different messaging method if the data is sensitive since SMS is not a great format for that.

0 Kudos
philrm77
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

I agree that SMS isn't a secure method of communication. Unfortunately these messages come in from external agencies so as much as I'd like to, I can't control that. As long as I can say that the messages are secured once they reach our devices and that there are no leaks on our side, then we have fulfilled our own obligations.

If it's not possible then I'm fine with that, I just want to be sure. We are currently 100% work managed, but a lot of people are asking to use their own devices - If we can't separate SMS messages from work contacts into the work profile then I think it's going to be a showstopper for BYOD, so I just want to make sure I have fully explored the possibility.

0 Kudos