VMware Workspace ONE Community
GitteLysell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

' Retire' a profile?

Hi,
I have a profile currently assigned to all users in my organization that I would like to phase out. Is there a way to keep the profile installed on all devices where it is currently installed, but stop it from being installed on newly enrolled devices?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WilbertKandt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If accecptable: change install mode of profile from auto to manual. Then, the profile will not be auto installed on new device. But keep in mind that users with new devices are able to manually install the profile through Intelligent Hub or Self service portal

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
J4yJ4y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Regular way to do that is to create smart groups .
That would mean you have to split the total group of devices, between already enrolled and to be enrolled devices.
0 Kudos
WilbertKandt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If accecptable: change install mode of profile from auto to manual. Then, the profile will not be auto installed on new device. But keep in mind that users with new devices are able to manually install the profile through Intelligent Hub or Self service portal

0 Kudos
SaschaBennertz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi! Also a very interesting question for us. The statement from VMWare we received was that either deactivation or deletion will remove profiles from enrolled devices. For us its also not clear why there's no function to deactivate a profile and enrolled devices will not change and new devices will not get the profile? Especially if it comes to Wifi profiles you are VERY imited. Happy if someone can proof this to be possible.
0 Kudos
WilbertKandt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Sascha, can you explain your WiFi issue more in depth?

You may want to raise a Feature Request for this functionality. See https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2960048?lang=en_US
0 Kudos
J4yJ4y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Exclusion is an option too.

When already having an SG-I (Smart Group -One) with members A, B, C , D, E.
For example: C and D should not get the profile
Create a new SG-II  with C and D.
On the profile attached to the SG-I , exclude SG-II
0 Kudos
GitteLysell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Changing the profile from ' Auto'  to ' Optional'  is a good idea, I did a quick test and the device with the profile installed stayed unchanged. Thank you Wilbert. This is an acceptable solution, very few of our users use the Self service portal.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I agree. That's a great idea to set from 'auto' to 'optional'.
0 Kudos
WilbertKandt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Gitte L.,

You're welcome, I'm glad to help you out. Be informed that the solution of Johan V. will be a more persistent and long term solution, this is just a quick win. But it can help in a certain situations. Have a great day!
0 Kudos