VMware Workspace ONE Community
Jenslov
Contributor
Contributor

Reset work managed device

Hi,
I have probably made a big misstake here, cutting of the branch I was sitting on ;). I have been playing with Android Enterprise and configured a Work managed device. Everything worked fine until I (for some stupid reason) decided to clear all my Android configuration (including the device) from my AirWatch (18.11) console and star all over again.
Now I have a Samsung Note 9 device, still Work managed, but I cannot manage it from anywhere. I want to reset the device but I am not allowed to. The Hub app is still on the device but do not give me any options to re-enroll. Trying to hard reset it (button kombination) tells me that MDM does not allow factory reset. Trying to remove the work managed account from the device tells me that I do not have permissions to do so.
Does anyone have a good idea of how to solve this, or have I made my self a very expensive beer mat (un-usable device)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
EricPlent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One thought would be to find the instructions for that specific Android device on how to boot it in to Recovery mode. From there, you can perform a factory reset prior to the OS being loaded (and therefore bypassing the lockout by the MDM). That should give you a fresh device you can then re-enroll.
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hopefully you did not turn off recovery mode.  If you setup a passcode profile you could put in too many bad passcodes
0 Kudos
Jenslov
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Eric and Stephen for your replys.
Unfortunately putting the device in recovery mode doesnt help. Trying a factory reset from there gives me ' MDM does not allow factory reset, rebooting' .
0 Kudos
janfondo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Niklas,

You could try and wipe the device with ADB using adb shell #wipe data. This worked in the old days.
Connect the device to your pc or mac, use ADB shell to send commands to the device.

It depends on the device how to enable ADB, for Zebra you can boot into shell mode but I believe on Samsung you'll need to do either fastboot or recovery mode.

Hope this helps

gr

Jan
0 Kudos