VMware Workspace ONE Community
erjung
Contributor
Contributor

Removing the option to leave Remote Management

Hello,

How can I disable to option to leave "Remote Management"? This message shows at the bottom of an iPad that was recently provisioned.

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeTingley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you describe your workflow?

I use ABM, enrolled directly into an OG fully configured. When we onboard equipment, my desktop guys send me a serial number and the profile they need, and I just assign it for them. They never have the option to remove management, and they're forced into it without intervention during a device reset from Apple. If you're manually enrolling and the device is not supervised, users can always remove management.

erjung
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the reply! When I get a new device, I would prepare it using Apple Configurator. Then I will assign it in Apple Business Manager and then I will go on the iPad and do the set up and assign it to a user.

Please let me know if there is a setting in the profile that needs to be changed to disable them from leaving?

Thank you

0 Kudos
EricPlent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As far as I know, any device enrolled in ABM/DEP using Apple Configurator automatically has a 30-day window during which management can be removed. Once that 30 period if past, the device then becomes a "normal" ABM/DEP enrollment and can no longer be removed from management by the end user. I don't think there is any way to change this - it's core Apple functionality. 

sluzi1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Eric is correct.

0 Kudos
JoeTingley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think you're right IF you add 'Enroll in DEP' into the workflow for Apple Configurator. My understanding is that functionality was designed to enroll devices into DEP that weren't purchased from a reseller attached to your ABM/DEP, not to enroll devices that were. My experience with Apple Configurator is admittedly limited as I use Ground Control instead. Can you try to make your configurator changes without the DEP enrollment and then just let ABM/DEP point to your AW server for management. I suspect that would allow ABM to assign ownership to the Airwatch server directly and not give the 30 day window for unenrollment.

0 Kudos