VMware Workspace ONE Community
amortimer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Remove / hide stock apple apps

Hi,
I'm trying to remove or hide a few apps such as garageband, iTunesU, Pages etc from iPads using airwatch 9.7. When I go to hide these apps in the profile setup with restrictions, the apps don't appear in the search - even though other apps installed on the iPads do.
Anyone know why these apps don't appear while others do?
Thanks
Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeoffreyBurri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You need to know the bundle ID of the app. Just enter it (you don't need to use one in the list) an click on the + symbol. You find the bundle ids by a google search. Here are a few: https://github.com/joeblau/apple-bundle-identifiers Jeoffrey

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
KEVINSCHELLINGE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I asked this exact question to the helpdesk. I was told to buy the app (its free on VPP), then push it then remove it from all devices. Either I did this wrong or it didn't work. Just my experience. I would love to find a solution. Its a few GB of trash apps that are on these devices.
0 Kudos
JeoffreyBurri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You need to know the bundle ID of the app. Just enter it (you don't need to use one in the list) an click on the + symbol. You find the bundle ids by a google search. Here are a few: https://github.com/joeblau/apple-bundle-identifiers Jeoffrey

0 Kudos
KEVINSCHELLINGE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked for me Jeoffrey, thank you so much!! Sorry Andrew if I hijacked your thread.
0 Kudos
JeoffreyBurri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Kevin, just to be clear: the apps won't get uninstalled, just hidden. You won't free any storage space... There's no way to uninstall system apps.
0 Kudos
KEVINSCHELLINGE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just hiding them is a win. I wish we could free up the space without having to manually remove from the devices. Thanks!
0 Kudos
amortimer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Very helpful Kevin as hiding will do for the meantime.

I have hidden the apps based on the bundle IDs however they're still showing - not too sure why that is.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Kevin, What's the use case for hiding them? Just always wondered why people do it. I can see some reasons, but if you could share that would be great!
0 Kudos
KEVINSCHELLINGE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For us to keep the iPad as clean as possible. We also are letting personal devices in and some of these people have 9 screens of apps. I just would like only what is needed on the iPad for less issues.
0 Kudos
KEVINSCHELLINGE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Andrew, Mine took a good minute or two for them to take effect.
0 Kudos
amortimer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All sorted, I was trying to be clever and copy the format of the apps which you can search and putting in ' GarageBand (com.apple.mobilegarageband)' . Now I've just put in the address ' com.apple.mobilegarageband'  the hide function is working.
0 Kudos
chrisnenzel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Wanted to thank Jeoffrey B for the pointer to the git hub page with the apple bundle identifiers.  This solved my issue with hiding the remainder of the stock apps I couldn't find by searching.  Wishing I could put the Catalog link into a folder but was told by Airwatch Support that this isn't possible. 
0 Kudos
tfriedm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Jeoffrey, just wondering if there is another bundle identifier for ' Shortcuts'  in iOS 13. You have listed: is.workflow.my.app, which isn't listed in as one that can be hidden and I've also tried to add it in a custom script, which isn't working either.

Thanks for all the other one's. Makes it a lot easier to identify and hide.

Todd
0 Kudos
JeoffreyBurri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's not my list, probably should've mentioned that in the original post.
Shortcuts: com.apple.shortcuts (is.workflow.my.app was the ID during the Beta)
Find my: com.apple.findmy

The App doesn't need to be in the list, just copy / paste the ID into the search field and click the + sign. WS ONE just makes it easier by showing the human readable name of the App whenever possible.
0 Kudos
tfriedm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect, that was my problem. I was looking for WS One to validate the name com.apple.shortcuts. Once I hit the + sign, it kept it in the list and then hid it on the associated device when published. Thanks for the quick response.
0 Kudos
coachdk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was successful  in hiding ' Find my' , but ' Shortcuts'  is still there. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
JeoffreyBurri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Daniel, do you use ' com.apple.shortcuts'  and not ' is.workflow.my.app'  as the identifier? And it's the public iOS / iPad OS Version, not the Beta Version?
0 Kudos
coachdk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jeoffrey,

I am using ' com.apple.shortcuts'  and it is the public version.
0 Kudos
coachdk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

just a little update:
After iOS 13.1.2 it is working as expected.
0 Kudos