VMware Workspace ONE Community
NickEales
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Question for large scale Android deployments

How has the change from a single device record per device to a seperate record after each factory reset affected your environment? We are currently running a WS1 environment supporting only IOS and are looking into branching out to Android, but if this behaviour were to come into effect for IOS it would probably mean a switch from WS1 to an alternative product.

https://support.workspaceone.com/articles/360024658413

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

why wouldn't you delete the old record after a factory reset prior to re-enrolling it?
0 Kudos
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For all practical purposes, this behavior is not new.  What was actually new was when they started preventing multiple enrollments for Android last year or thereabouts.  For many years, any enrollment of our Android devices which did not include a manual deletion of the old device from the console resulted in a new device record which could exist along with any number of previous enrollments of the same device.

To solve problems with billing and clutter buildup, we incorporated Kevin's suggestion.  Firstly, we began relying more heavily on our separate inventory/assignment system to maintain history and related info.  Secondly, we began using the AW/WS1 API to delete devices once we had archived (or deemed un-recoverable) all important data from the devices.  The API calls included a loop to continue deleting devices by serial number until there are no matching search results, since the delete by alternate ID only deletes one matching device at a time.  You could also use the IMEI or MAC address for these API calls with a minor adjustment to the call.

So, I'm not personally concerned or worried, since we've been effectively dealing with this type of behavior for years.
0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This hasn't been a concern for us either anytime a device is unenrolled we delete it out of the system so to me their really is no change.
0 Kudos
NickEales
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions.

We have a fairly autonomous setup on IOS (DEP) with 10.000 devices spread out all over the country being used by a mobile workforce. Any kind of manual proces of having users check in with support to approve some form of device transition just adds to overhead and is always prone to errors. Relying on our inventory system would be nice but unfortunately it is not setup for any kind of automated workflows, again requiring users to dedicate time to something so trivial as ' logging in and out' .

What is stopping Android's management framework from being able to mimic iOS' when it comes to device records in WS1?
0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nick Android devices prior to the 19.06 upgrade just had one device record. According to the post from support they did this to improve security and privacy I think it safe to assume they are going to do something similar for iOS based devices in the future. I maybe wrong on that but if this truly is about security and privacy then I think its a safe bet that its coming to iOS in a future console update.
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Considering it still knows the serial number that answer of why is not a reason, my guess is they ran into some technical limitation with not knowing what their software was doing and blamed it on this, if they do this to iOS as well they flush a massive amount of value down the drain.  My guess is something went wrong with re-using records so this was there solution.  I agree with the person above if they do this to iOS it becomes prudent to look at their competitors.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Android is not generating the UDID. Neither is iOS in fact. iOS went away from exposing the UDID and did away with it completely for privacy reasons. WS1 is generating the UDID and why they are using a method that creates a new one each time is beyond me.
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Change for the point of making the product worse but probably easier to code seem to be the norm lately
0 Kudos