VMware Workspace ONE Community
RedHelix1
Contributor
Contributor

Push notifications from ENSv1 stop after a couple of hours

Hello, we've been seeing a recurring problem over the past two weeks where my Boxer clients randomly stop getting notifications hen a new email hits the inbox. Rebooting the ENS host solves the problem... for about 6-7 hours, then it starts again.

We're using ENS 9.2.0.0 against an Office 365 / Exchange Online instance. I have two servers running this version of ENS (I only keep one powered on at a time) and they both have this problem.

I have seen the below Event logs start popping up on these servers at various times, but it doesn't appear to directly correlate to problem occurence.

Identity:notauth::
Module:AW.Mail.Notification.BusinessImpl.ExchangeStreamingNotificationSubscriber._RestartSubscriber
Message: General Exception occurred System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at AW.Mail.Notification.BusinessImpl.ExchangeStreamingNotificationSubscriber._SubscribeUsers(IEnumerable`1 usersByMailbox)
   at AW.Mail.Notification.BusinessImpl.ExchangeStreamingNotificationSubscriber._RestartSubscriber(IEnumerable`1 usersByMailbox)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

This is normal operation for ENS unfortunately. Restart it constantly.
0 Kudos
RedHelix
Contributor
Contributor

Ouch, bummer. Thanks for the quick reply. Do you usually restart just the service, or the entire server?

I'll add some follow-up details for future googlers: We had POC'd Boxer within IT for about 4 months prior to rolling it out to genpop. Flawless with ~10 people. At 50 users we were restarting weekly. At 100+ users it's a few times per day. It's gotta be load-related. Oh well... easy to automate rebooting these days.

0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Usually restarting the service suffices, but sometimes I have to reboot the entire server. ENS V1 is going away sometime so I'd look into V2 sooner than later. V2 uses a different model to send notifications using a user subscription rather than a proxy subscription via a service account.
0 Kudos
sflanagan
Contributor
Contributor

I wrote a Powershell script to restart the service every 6 hours and set it as a scheduled task.

I've been fighting with ENSv2 on premise for the past two days with no luck.  It looks like I'm going to have to get completely new certificates setup for it.  It doesn't like the one that was configured for ENSv1.

0 Kudos
RedHelix
Contributor
Contributor

Makes sense, thanks guys. Just batched out a net stop + net start on the service and threw it in the task manager on both of my ENS boxen. Glad to hear it's not our config I suppose.

We fought with ENS v2 as well a few months ago and gave up 😐
0 Kudos
abdalab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are also having same issue, our workaround same batch file to restart service/Task. Currently have a support ticket, they are recommending and upgrade to ENS V2, but per the above responses looks like that would not solve the issue.
0 Kudos
antherITguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same.  We spent a considerable amount of time trying to get ENSv2 working in our environment.  It turned out to be a no-go.  Support then recommended we use SEGv2 to get ENSv2 working...
0 Kudos
abdalab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We were able to successfully implement ENS, but on the cloud environment no issues there, and so far it has been working using the latest Workspace One version.
Added the keys to the Boxer config and so far no issues, will see when get to the 1000+ users. I'm not 100% certain if it is due to the fact that we are bypassing the seg.

0 Kudos
RayYeRayYe1
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone still using ENS V1?  We can not move to ENS v2 due to the architecture changes.  Can anyone one search ENS V1 log to see if there is any event CreateWebRequest?
0 Kudos
RedHelix
Contributor
Contributor

OP here

Our MSP helped us wade through this. ENS2 is actually part of the Airwatch cloud service now. We created a new assignment profile for Boxer with some keys provided by airwatch support, pushed it to some test groups, and notifications just worked. Going on a month now with no problems.

For anyone coming across this post, open a ticket with Airwatch and let them help you.

0 Kudos
abdalab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jack,
Do you have the config keys values as I would like to compare with ours, as we only getting calendar notifications but nothing from Boxer.
Thx
0 Kudos