VMware Workspace ONE Community
ibizwu
Contributor
Contributor

Package or script to create a local admin user on macOS?

Has anyone successfully deployed a profile/package to create a local admin on macOS? The issue we have now is we're using Apple Device Enrollment. The devices come pre-loaded with the AIrWatch integration. The user types in their information and it sets them up. However, our local admin that we use for installations and backup is not configured. We usually create it first and then deploy the laptop to the user. We would like to deploy this via AirWatch.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
lazyGhost
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
ibizwu
Contributor
Contributor

I will give this a try. thank you!

0 Kudos
pevans00
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As an alternate approach, if you're enrolling devices through ABM integration, you can automatically configure an additional administrator account on the device within the DEP configuration settings in Workspace ONE, under Settings > Devices & Users > Apple > Device Enrollment Program.  If you go into your current DEP configuration, find the "Admin Account Creation" section, and this account would get automatically created for newly enrolled devices.

If you use this approach, you can even have the password randomized rather than using a pre-set value for all devices: Admin Password Auto-Rotation .

0 Kudos
ibizwu
Contributor
Contributor

This sounds perfect! I’ll try it out today or tomorrow and let you know.

0 Kudos
ibizwu
Contributor
Contributor

Worked! Unfortunately it’s only for the new devices under the DEP program. I have to still use a script for the previous devices that were not purchased under the program.

0 Kudos
ibizwu
Contributor
Contributor

have you used this? I can’t seem to find the page where you get the password. According to the document it says it’s under the security tab but it’s not there.

0 Kudos
lazyGhost
Contributor
Contributor

I got around to trying the additional administrator in DEP. One question is this admin doesn't get a secure token does it?

0 Kudos