VMware Workspace ONE Community
RyanWampler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Outlook app config settings

MS now supports app config settings in the Outlook for iOS and Android app:  https://technet.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/mt829322(v=exchg.160).aspx
Labels (1)
84 Replies
KaChunYip
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to add the key pair in outlook and deploy to my iphone by Airwatch,
but no configuration was push to the device, is it still need to work with intune/azure AD?

Any one try ?
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Important to understand this is for basic authentication only. Office 365 will use modern auth. So it’s not designed for everyone.
0 Kudos
KaChunYip
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i know.
I am using on premises exchange 2016 and basic authentication only.
not using o365.
0 Kudos
RyanWampler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to push the settings down to a test device without issue.  Intune/AzureAD is not required.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

This setup still lacks the features an enterprise needs though. Ability to lock the client down, etc. without intune controls. Until I can fully control it, it is still not the answer for me.
0 Kudos
RyanWampler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here.  Our users would love to use Outlook, but we have no way to manage it currently since we don't have Intune for MAM.
0 Kudos
KaChunYip
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ryan, can you share how you push the settings?
Thanks
0 Kudos
RyanWampler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just configured the key/value pairs as defined in that link.  I used lookup values for email address and username.
0 Kudos
BrandonOKC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ryan, I tried to do as you say without Intune and the profile didn't apply the App Config settings.  Can you share you IOS provisioning profile minus data that applies to your business?
0 Kudos
RyanWampler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.EmailAccountName = {EmailAddress}
com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.EmailAddress = {EmailAddress}
com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.EmailUPN = {EmailUserName}
com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.ServerAuthentication = 'Username and Password'
com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.ServerHostName = outlook.office365.com

all string values
0 Kudos
KaChunYip
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Ryan,

My input value is same with you but not working~
I just changed the ServerHostName ti my exchange server.
so confuse~ haha

screen capture : https://ibb.co/gPai5c
0 Kudos
BrandonOKC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ryan,
What version of AW is your on-premise environment?  I wonder if  9.0.1 is not fully supported for pushing out Outlook app confiugrations.  Another question, are you pushing public app version that requires user to input their iTunesID or are you pushing the Device Assigned VPP version of app?
0 Kudos
RyanWampler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

9.2.1, but that shouldn't matter as these are just regular app config settings.  In this case I was just testing since we can't actually move to Outlook due to MS's BS, but I installed the app as a regular app store app on my iPad.  Shouldn't matter though.
0 Kudos
BrandonOKC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Reason I ask what AW version, for 9.0.1 the insert lookup values option doesn't show what you have listed.

Did you also experience same when clicking lookup button?

So, I went ahead and put the values in and app installed but still had to input email address after opening app, after click next auto configuration completed.
0 Kudos
RyanWampler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah, didn't consider that the lookup values themselves might not be available.  I just added them right from the lookup button.
0 Kudos
BrandonOKC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Think we found the reason why I am not able to get the app configuration to apply. Once I get environment upgraded to 9.2.3, this feature will be available.
0 Kudos
KaChunYip
Contributor
Contributor

I tested with our cloud environment , the AW version is 9.2.2.1
app configuration still unable push to the outlook , even by hard code the email address/server ,etc.

But the most interesting is , I tested in a OG with Android for work, the app configuration can push to the outlook,
and the key pair were pre-defined. see the screen capture.

iamge : https://ibb.co/mfp4vc
0 Kudos
KaChunYip
Contributor
Contributor

ok I noticed that from Microsoft blog said that ' Devices must be running at minimum iOS 10, or Android enterprise managed devices with Android 5.0+'  So I can push the configuration in AFW OG.

How about iOS??

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2018/01/30/now-your-enterprise-mobility-management-solu...

0 Kudos
PaulBrownPaulBr
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running 9.2.1. Is it really a requirement to be running 9.2.3?
0 Kudos