VMware Workspace ONE Community
HerrMaximilianL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

On-premise environment preparation for iOS13-Update

Hello,

do I have to update my on-premise environment to get prepared for iOS13? I'm currently running on version 9.4.0.33. It would be great if anyone of you guys could help me and give me answers. Thank you in advance.

Best regards Maxi

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Maxi,

While you don't need to update your console to support iOS13, you should apply the database script via the link below to ensure you can clear device passcode (if this applies to you). Mind telling me why you are still on console version 9.4?

AAPP-7936: Administrators are unable to Clear Device Passcode on iOS 13 & iPadOS 13 (74668)
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/74668

Best,

Tom

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Maxi,

While you don't need to update your console to support iOS13, you should apply the database script via the link below to ensure you can clear device passcode (if this applies to you). Mind telling me why you are still on console version 9.4?

AAPP-7936: Administrators are unable to Clear Device Passcode on iOS 13 & iPadOS 13 (74668)
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/74668

Best,

Tom
0 Kudos
HerrMaximilianL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Tom,

thank you for your help. I will apply the script as soon as possible.

Currently I'm not upgrading because everything just works fine and I don't see any need to upgrade right now. Nevertheless I've added the environment-upgrade to my to-do-list for the first quarter of 2019.

Best regards
Maxi
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I guess the decision relies on 2 factors:

- whether AirWatch supports your version
- whether there's any new features or bugs with your version

While there's no rush to upgrade, the new version does introduce lots of cool stuff to satisfy the up and coming mobile technology.
0 Kudos
HerrMaximilianL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Until now the support still applies to the version I am using. I know that some nice gimmicks are implemented to the newer versions. As already said, I think I'm going to upgrade in the beginning of the new year. As you mentioned a lot of cool implemented stuff is statisfying to play with.
Do you have any kind of recommended guide for upgrading to a newer version or is this just a 5 minute-job by clicking thorugh a wizard?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Check out my blog at thomascheng.net and search for 'upgrade'. It should help.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

My upgrades are fairly easy, but that's because I keep up for the most part. Waiting and leaving such a long gap in between versions is more likely to introduce problems and be more challenging because VMware is not used to people jumping such a large gap.
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is more of an everyone thing but make sure all your airwatch apps are updated enough
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Totally agree with Luke especially with having to upgrade the database a couple of times to the desired version before you can upgrade the console and device service servers to the latest version.
0 Kudos
HerrMaximilianL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good to know. Thank you guys for your advices. I'll update the environment step by step and hope that nothing will be damaged.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As long as your servers are virtualized and with proper backup, you can easily roll everything back if 'sh*t' hits the fan.
0 Kudos
DavidACap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maximillan - I would also note that 9.4 is EOS 2019/11/02.(https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/support/product-lifecycle-matrix.p...)

Migrating to a new version, currently 1907, will be a multi-phase upgrade. I believe there are a few interim versions that you are required to upgrade to before getting to 1907. Also, I would verify the SQL version you are running to make sure it is compatible with the target version; I upgraded from 9.2 to 1810 and had to address SQL incompatibility. VMware used to provide a good XLS sheet that had their recommended procedures for upgrading Airwatch components. I believe they have transferred the steps to an online help file.

0 Kudos