VMware Workspace ONE Community
EricPlent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Notification of expiring DEP / VPP tokens

I recently discovered that both a DEP token and a VPP token in one of our OGs had expired. As far as I can tell, there was no notification from the console (or Apple, for that matter) to let me know the token was set to expire. Does anyone else receive notice when this occurs? Or am I mistaken in thinking that it should work this way?
Labels (1)
20 Replies
KEVINSCHELLINGE
Contributor
Contributor

I would love to know this answer. I worry about missing the expiration of ours too..
0 Kudos
EricPlent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For the moment I am manually recording the expiration dates on my calendar so I can remember to renew them in a timely fashion. However, I was under the impression that the console would notify me in that instance. If not, that's a rather big gap as far as I'm concerned.
0 Kudos
cnewman0054
Contributor
Contributor

I am always notified by the console when Apple's APN is about to expire. I also receive emails for it, from Apple. The console doesn't tell me when the DEP token is about to expire, but I do get emails for that from Apple. I just set calendar reminders for myself as soon as I renew or sign any cert for its renewal date.

0 Kudos
EricPlent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For some reason, I didn't even get the emails from Apple for the DEP token or the VPP token.
0 Kudos
msweisberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Apple always send reminder emails to the apple id registered with the APN, DEP, and VPP apple id.  They do this at 60 day, 30 day, 15 day, and 10 day before the expiration dates.  Make sure you have access to that apple id account and the account is tied to a valid email.
0 Kudos
LakshmiSriniva1
Contributor
Contributor

Agree 100% with Michael W. I had the same experience of receiving emails from Apple.
0 Kudos
EricPlent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Michael - we receive notifications from Apple all the time using the same account (when devices are enrolled in DEP, etc) so I can absolutely confirm the account is valid. There is another team member who also has access to the account, and neither of us saw any notification from Apple with either token - that's my concern. I may have to raise the issue to Apple if the console isn't going to notify me.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

I have only ever seen APNS expiration notices from Apple. I've never received a DEP or VPP token notice. I have over 35 DEP tokens active and have several expiring monthly, no notices. I just keep a calendar notice to check monthly on them and renew the ones expiring.
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It would be nice if the console had an automated report detailing all expiration dates for APNS, DEP, or VPP tokens!
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

I use the following table in SQL to quickly find all the expiration dates for my DEP:  [dbo].[DEPAuthentication]
For VPP you can USE: [deviceApplication].[VppAccount] to find the expiry dates quickly as well.
EricPlent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Luke: We are running a dedicated SaaS, so I wouldn't be able to pull that data. It would be nice ... I'm used to having direct access via SQL query to stuff like this from my previous job.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Bummer!
0 Kudos
EricPlent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is. I agree with Rich that it would be nice if the console reported this type of thing. The information is available, so I would think alerting/reporting on it would be reasonably easy to do.
0 Kudos
JonTangJonTang1
Contributor
Contributor

But after the token expires do the apps deployed still functional ?
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Straight from the horse's mouth...
sToken Expiration Impact
New VPP users, application purchases, and application downloads are impacted with the following restrictions:
? Cannot sync licenses
? Cannot send invitations to join the VPP to enrollment users added after expiration
? Cannot update the information on invitation status for the enrollment users added before the expiration but
accepted the invitation after the expiration
? Cannot deploy new VPP applications (claiming licenses for users/ devices)
? Cannot download existing on-demand applications if the license was not already claimed
? Cannot revoke Managed Distribution licenses when the devices are:
o Unenrolled
o Removed from the assignment rule
o Deleted
o Assignment rules are deleted
o VPP applications are deleted
o Service tokens are deleted
Note: The devices that already have applications assigned, licenses claimed, and applications installed should not have
any issues with their continued usage of the applications.
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Put it on your calendar, don't depend on Apple or Airwatch to notify you!
0 Kudos
KevinRaisch
Contributor
Contributor

I get an information in console everytime a token will expire.
You can activate this by clicking on your account name at top right corner > ' Manage Account Settings'  > Notifications. There you can choose if you want to be informed by console, email, both or none.
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Kevin, those notifications don't include Apple DEP or VPP tokens. The DEP and VPP tokens are shown in the console with either a ' Expiration Date'  or ' Valid Until'  date so it wouldn't be too hard for them to code a warning notification, say 60 days prior.
0 Kudos
KevinRaisch
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah ok, I know what you mean. I'm not really sure but I think that I got the DEP token expiration warning also in console.
Did you already asked the support?

A workaround will be to activate the console warning for APN and to renew at the same time APN, DEP and VPP tokens. Then you know if the warning for APN comes up you also have to renew the DEP and VPP token.
0 Kudos