VMware Workspace ONE Community
coachdk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not possible to uninstall Google Photos from Work Profile

Hi All,

I am just curious if anyone has made a similiar experience or possibly could replicate this "issue" on their devices.

We are using Workspace ONE UEM 19.9.0.17 with Google Pixel devices ( Android 10, latest SP) in COPE mode. I have published the Google Photos

app in the managed PlayStore as on-demand. If a user installs this app he is not able to unistall it later. It just uninstalls the latest

update of this app. Even from the MDM console you are not able to uninstall it.

The app is then mentioned as a "system" app in MDM, not anymore as "public (managed)".

Regards,

Daniel

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlexanderMuc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Daniel,

If you are not using the App Control Payload via Custom Profile, check the following:

- Is "Enable System Apps" selected in a profile for the device under Application Conrol?

- Is there an Android whitelist for the device under Apps & Books > Application Settings > App Groups that affects the device?

- Does this whitelist include Google Photos?

If you can answer all three questions with "Yes", you should try App Assignment without Google Photos on the "whitelist".

I'm not sure at the moment if the app can be installed without problems then. I have known for quite some time that apps cannot be completely deleted or deactivated when "Enable System Apps" is applied.

Regards,

Alexander

0 Kudos
coachdk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Alexander,

unfortunately I have to answer all three questions with "No".

I have just checked the DPC part in the configuration profile for the zero touch deployment and even there the system apps are disabled.

With a Samsung Galaxy S8, enrolled via QR-Code, I am able to uninstall the Photos app.

So I assume it is probably a bug on Pixel devices.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos