VMware Workspace ONE Community
LukasSchfer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No clock/battery status in Android Launcher

Hi guys, a customer of us, has the problem, that in Android Launcher some Icons are missing. He can't see the clock, battery status and mobile reception status. I've tested it on a Samsung Galaxy S8 and had the sams issue. I tried to add the clock to hidden Apps, but because it's a Samsung App, there is no public app available. I've searched in the settings of Launcher, but nowhere is a button for ' enable clock'  or somthing like that. 

We can see the statuses when we enter the admin password, but we don't want, that every user has the admin password. Had anybody the same issue? Thank you!

Labels (1)
12 Replies
ColbyMorgan
Contributor
Contributor

I case someone else faces this issue...

I opened a support ticket and they provided the following response which resolved my issue:

Launcher 4.0 uses new native Android APIs for Google EMM Registered enrollments in the standard Android profile. These new APIs fall under the umbrella of Corporate-Owned Single-Use (COSU) mode. Some features are removed while using COSU mode, this is purposeful to be able to drastically increase the security of the Launcher application. Please see the drawbacks and benefits below, use this custom XML tag to skip COSU mode setup.

Impacted features include the removal of the Notification / Status Bar at the top of the screen and the Home & Recent Task soft keys at the bottom of the screen.

By using COSU mode (default), the level of security is greatly improved within the Application.

In DO mode, COSU will be configured by default. In case if you would like to use that functionality, you can disable COSU setup.

<characteristic type=' com.airwatch.android.androidwork.launcher'  uuid=' 568bc89d-1df8-4ce9-a041-e5a24acdb7ec' >
<parm name=' SkipCosuSetup'  value=' True' />
</characteristic>

Just add that XML as a custom setting to your launcher profile.

0 Kudos
JaredMaurina
Contributor
Contributor

After enabling that, have you had any issues with the top part of the screen?
0 Kudos
ColbyMorgan
Contributor
Contributor

It seemed to resolve the issue on the devices I was testing with, but we have not rolled it out to production yet.
0 Kudos
LukasSchfer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,
I've opened a ticket too and got the following XML:

You need to add that xml to your Launcher Profil.
You also see than the battery/clock at the top of the screen.
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I used that in my launcher and the only thing it gave me was the navigation bar at the bottom again, which don't get me wrong... I am SUPER HAPPY to have that back! BUTTTTT  Still no battery indicator, cellular signal level...etc (status bar). Ideas?
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Lukas,

It changed with Launcher 4.1. This is the correct one. You can opt to allow leave the navigation bar command line in there or delete it. I personally left it so users can see and respond to the notifications and airplane mode...etc while still being blocked from accessing settings.

Beth

<characteristic type=' com.airwatch.android.androidwork.launcher'  uuid=' 568bc89d-1df8-4ce9-a041-e5a24acdb7ec' >

<parm name=' SkipCosuSetup'  value=' True' />

<parm name=' AllowStatusBar'  value=' True'  />

<parm name=' AllowNotificationBar'  value=' True' />

</characteristic>

0 Kudos
LiorAbel
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Elizabeth!
Your remark about this changing with 4.1 was a life saver! I was struggling with this for so long!
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You're welcome Lior! 🙂 Here is the one for allowing power off (yep that is blocked too by default until you upgrade to console v1905).

<parm name=' AllowPowerOff'  value=' True' />

0 Kudos
LiorAbel
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that. I had already found the Power Off fix in another article.
The actual bug behind that one is nothing less than infuriating. It seems to only happen on Samsung devices and only because VMWare developers ' didn't yet add it back to the UI'  and it annoying defaulted to the least preferred option by anyone.

I love AirWatch, but some of these bugs just get me so worked up!
0 Kudos
VincentBrunet
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Elizabeth. It is marvellous.
I've put a side AfW for a time but I was search before that without finding it.
0 Kudos
Damasceno
Contributor
Contributor

This is the line that worked for us. We are using spectrakink phones, Android 8.1.0

<characteristic type="com.airwatch.android.androidwork.launcher" uuid="568bc89d-1df8-4ce9-a041-e5a24acdb7ec">
<parm name="SkipCosuSetup" value="True"/>
</characteristic>

JLunsford
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me, thank you! 

0 Kudos