VMware Workspace ONE Community
ck20000
Contributor
Contributor

New installation problem

I'm new in the virtualization environment. I have to try Horizon Workspace for my company.

First, we have vsphere essential plus 5.1 linking 2 identical hosts (64GB RAM, HA enabled, DRS not enabled because the license doesn't support) with an additional server as vcenter.

HOST-B is currently running some VMs. And we deside to run Horizon Workspace VMs in HOST-A.

First I downloaded the .ova file and had the licence key. Then I tried to install it following the horizon workspace reviewer guide.

1.) Setup IP mapping (A and PTR record) in microsoft dns server.

2.) Under VCENTER server, click "File -> Deploy OVF Template". Then I choose the downloaded OVA file and accept the license agreement.

3) After specific Name as "Horizon-Workspace" and choosing Name and inventory location as "New datacenter, I select Cluster for deploy the template.

4.) After I choose HOST-A to run the deployed template, it gives the follow error:

"The OVF package is invalid and cannot be deployed." "The operation is not supported on the object"

I don't think the OVA file is corrupted because i have download the file with difference hosts and give same error.

And does anyone have idea for fixing the error ?

3 Replies
Seb1180
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

have you created your ip pool in vcenter ? I know I had a similar problem. I don't know if this was the answer but I know I had forgotten the ip pool and deployment was failing.

Seb

0 Kudos
ck20000
Contributor
Contributor

I seem found out the cause of the problem. OVF package require resource pool during the deployment, therefore it cannot be deployed under cluster without DRS.

I think i need either add another host to the datacenter or upgrade the vmware license to support DRS. But I donno which license I should buy in this situration.

Seb1180
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep indeed your licensing level seems to be your problem. As it will create a Vapp during the deployment and as Vapps needs DRS I think that's where your problem is.

To have DRS you need enterprise licenses and of course this comes with a little budget. Check with your sales rep if there is an upgrade path from Eplus to Enterprise otherwise you will have to pay the full price.

I found this article otherwise that refers to how to deploy vCOPS in Essentials env that you could give a try. The reasoning is the same so it shoud work. I don t know however what will be the result in having Workspace not in a Vapp but at least you will have it.

http://vmnick.com/2013/05/02/how-to-deploy-vcops-in-an-essentials-essentials-plus-or-standard-vspher... 

Have fun

Seb

0 Kudos