VMware Workspace ONE Community
Sean_Kane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New On Prem Server Upgrade WinServer 2008 R2 to WinServer 2016

Hi Everyone,
I am currently investigating the first physical server migration that I have ever done with AW. We are presently running AW 9.3.0.10 (Console and Device server) on an On-Premise Windows Server 2008 R2 server. SQL DB on SQL 2016. I need to get rid of Server 2008 and plan on going with a 2016 server.
My thought at this time: upgrade current (2008) On Prem Server to WorkSpaceOne 9.6. AFter that is complete, setup brand new Server 2016 Windows On Prem server, follow the WorkspaceOne UEM Installation Guide and setup a new copy of WorkspaceOne on the 2016 Server.
What I can't figure out is, do I point the DB server to the existing DB during the initial installation on the new Windows On Prem server? Or, do I install it to a ' dummy DB'  and then just redirect it to the existing production DB after the installation is complete?

Thanks in advance,
Sean
Labels (1)
21 Replies
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I were to do it, I would set up AW 9.3 on the 2016 server. You will point to the same DB server. Assuming you have some type of load balancer in front of the two AW servers, disable traffic to the 2008 server. Then upgrade both DB and the 2016 server to 9.6 or 9.7. Once you confirm all is well, proceed decommissioning the 2008 server.
Always have N+1 for each role for high availability unless you are really tight with resources.
0 Kudos
UiliamFoschiera
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi all!
I agree with Lee. At my own experience, I had to migrate both database and AW on-premise environment (console, DS, SEG, Tunnel) to new servers, with different OS (and database server versions).
My old scenario: AW 9.0.3, Windows Server 2012 R2, MS SQL Server 2008. New scenario: AW 9.5, Windows Server 2016, MS SQL Server 2016.
My steps: dump data to new database -> install AW environment (v. 9.0.3.0) at new servers -> after tests ok, update AW database versions (one version per time, until the version 9.5) with AW database installers -> install AW 9.5 applications (DS, console, ...).
Here, it worked.
Regards.
0 Kudos
Sean_Kane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guys,
Thank you so much for the advice! I never thought of taking that route, so glad I asked you!
So, during the installation process, I would just point at the existing database and it won't risk overwriting the data in the DB? Does it detect that the DB is an existing DB and handles the install appropriately?
Thanks!
Sean
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Depending on your environment, you can easily have N+1 servers set up for high availability by pointing to the same database. Everything is stored in the database and so you are not overwriting it. Be sure to install the same version of the application on the new host as you set it up. Once both servers are on the same version, you will follow the upgrade guide to get to whatever new version you desire.
0 Kudos
Sean_Kane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi everyone, with your advice I think I am nearly set with this project. One final question, Since I am at 9.3.0.25, would the plan be to install 9.3.0 Full Install to lay the 9.3 base on the server, then run the 9.3.0.25 patch afterward?
0 Kudos
btrabue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Subscribing to this thread.  We are planning on doing the same migration.
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sean K., you are correct. Install both the base 9.3 and patch right after.
0 Kudos
KonstantinosLei
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Sean

How did the upgrade go? Any tips you could share with us? Also, did your upgrade just involve Console and Device services or auxiliary components as well? (SEG, MAG, Content)?

We are planning to upgrade from 2012 to 2016 servers as well on an on-prem setup with Device, AWCM, SEG, Content Gateway (relay) and MAG (relay) on one and Console, ACC, Content Gateway (endpoint) and MAG (endpoint) on the other. I understand there are two approaches to this:

1. Set up High Availability as Thomas recommends, set up the new 2016 server and disable the old one when the new is confirmed to be working as expected and
2. Stop services on the old server, set up the new 2016 server and then change the DNS to point to the new server

Anyone tried either and what are the pros and cons? Doing some research it appears that it is just a matter of installing the services on the new server which is simple but are there any specifics for the auxiliary services (MAG, SEG, Content)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Sean_Kane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Konstantinos,

My on prem environment is dramatically less complex than yours. 🙂 However, I can say with confidence that my transition from 2008 to 2016 was rather painless. It really truly was a matter of creating a backup and restore of the SQL DB to the new SQL server. Then, I performed a fresh installation of the AW environment on the new hosts and pointed the DB to the SQL DB.

They were smart and put all of the data and configuration of the AW environment into the DB so as long as it is pointed at the DB it works. I did have to install a new SSL Cert on IIS to make sure that is working first as well.

Sean
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Konstantinos, I had the same setup as yours before moving to my new role with a hybrid setup.

Assuming you have N+1 setup for each component behind a load balancer, it's best to add another node (Win 2016) into the mix and confirm it's working. Then, you can easily disable/decommission the Win 2012 nodes.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
KonstantinosLei
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Thomas!

Your web site is a goldmine! It helped a lot upgrading from 9.2 to 1810, everything went well. Regarding the Windows OS upgrade, it looks like we can't go down the High Availability road so we will need to stop the services on the old servers and install them on the new 2016 ones. I will share my experience once we are done.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Konstantinos, your comment made my day and I'm very happy that my site was helpful.
0 Kudos
BobSecreto
Contributor
Contributor

Has Anyone done a standalone ' upgrade'  from 2008r2 to server 2012, then upgrade to 2016?
0 Kudos
TobiasPaschek12
Contributor
Contributor

Bob Yes I have done it! What is your concern about it? RGS Tobias
0 Kudos
BobSecreto
Contributor
Contributor

My concern was doing an ' upgrade'  vs new build / migration. I was told Via Support Chat, that since in my situation the DB is hosted, I can easily upgrade the application servers in my environment. IPs stay the same, DNS stays the same. We will have full replicas of each VM prior to upgrade.
0 Kudos
ptmoore
Contributor
Contributor

I need to do the same but I'm hitting issues...assistance is greatly appreciated.
I am migrating my DB to a new SQL server, and migrating both DS and console servers to new servers.
Do I need to run the database installer on the new server if I have an existing DB?
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Our server teams told us that one upgrade to a server is about all you can safely do, two updates would just cause too many issues in the system that would linger going forward since the updates are not a clean update.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Here is the official DB migration guide:

https://resources.workspaceone.com/view/fwr38r8dmngblwqxlq8l/en
0 Kudos