VMware Workspace ONE Community
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Moving from WS1 to Intune?

I start noticing from various job postings that companies are looking to migrate from WS1 to Intune.

Is this happening to your environment as well? If so, what's the reason(s) behind the move?
Labels (1)
14 Replies
jasonvb91
Contributor
Contributor

I think as businesses start pushing more and more towards operational efficiencies they will start to tighten existing contracts or try to squeeze more out of them. Alot of businesses have O365 + EMS licensing - Intune which is bundled as part of this. It makes sense for management to start questioning the cost of 1 system over the other based on cost a and functionality vs functionality used etc
0 Kudos
WahaC
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with Jason's point. Not sure if this the same elsewhere but WS1 costs have also risen substantially in the UAE. We are now exploring Intune as a low cost alternative.
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Licensing is a part of a package so management said why not and the ability to manage MS applications (MAM without enrollment). We are doing a POC for our BYOD devices only. Corporate devices will not be going to Intune.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Thanks, all. Like Elizabeth mentioned, we also used Citrix and MS which are packaged with MDM without additional cost. So management definitely wants to see if we can take advantage of it by the respective teams who have little to no experience when it comes to device management among other things.

I do know we are exploring part of Intune as we roll out Outlook app over the native mail app, and believe it or not, we use Jamf exclusively for macOS and Intune for MS Surface. Citrix wants to manage Chrome books with Xen Mobile. What does it leave us? iOS and Android?
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thomas - WOW! That's all over the place. We definitely do not want to have multiple products managing different pieces. I have no doubt that we will bring BYOD back to WS1 once we get SSO figured out with vIDM. We are in the middle of changing our IDP to Okta so I'm trying to be patient with the process. In the meantime, management wants to use Outlook for o365 which we are migrating our users to. We are using WS1 for macOS and are exploring managing our windows laptops as well.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Elizabeth, your setup is definitely better than mine. I'm certain it's perfectly normal to have more than one MDM solution available in an enterprise, and I still have faith with WS1 especially after it's acquired by VMware. It's also somewhat political when it comes to what MDM is used to manage various mobile technologies. Every group (Citrix, MS) wants a piece of the cake until they encounter hurdle and then give it back to us (AirWatch)
0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Reading this post makes me very glad we are a VMware shop and moved away from Citrix to Horizon years back and only have one MDM. We recent get setup with O365 but as far as I know we have no plans to migrate our BYOD users off WS1 and over to Intune since we spent 2 years slowly rolling out WS1 across our company. While I do have limited experience with Intune to me comparing it against WS1 I think of it like comparing a butter knife against a swiss army knife both have their purpose but if I have to pay for one I would prefer it be the one with the most options.
0 Kudos
FHLB
Contributor
Contributor

For us. the container was a better solution then what Intune provided. Ease of Management was probably the biggest reason. For IOS, users would use the Outlook app for their personal email as well as the companies. We couldn't lock down the app well enough without taking complete ownership of the app, which meant they couldn't have another email setup within the app due to our policies.
We tried Intune, even brought in a company to secure everything but Security kept finding holes they didn't like.
I also used Jamf for some things, Intune for others, it was all over the place. Glad that WS1 was able to manage everything they way we need it to.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Great feedback everyone! I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. I do agree and would prefer to work with the leader (i.e. VMware) in the digital workspace than anyone else. I once had to manage both Blackberry and AirWatch due to a lack of features for BYOD. I'm, of course, hoping the same with my current role, but other options existed for quite some time so it will take just as long to migrate them over to WS1 (if at all for job security sake.)
0 Kudos
TonyArnoldTonyA
Contributor
Contributor

Our agency is in the middle of migrating to O365. As a result, the powers that be decided it made more sense to utilize the MDM within InTune since it came with the licensing as opposed to paying for WS1 as well
0 Kudos
DavidFink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Subscribing as I am v curious about people's experiences with MS support. We have some KIOSK's managed in Intune and while we may be dual MDM for a while, there'll be a day when we have to unify.
0 Kudos
abdalab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Tony,
Could you share your experience in the migration to 0365/Intune?

Regards,
AB
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We are also drinking the Microsoft Kool-Aid and are considering switching from paying WS1 every year to using the included licensing we already have for Intune. We have already converted from Exchange on-premise to a hybrid O365. We are only using WS1 for iOS devices and have not used container. With O365 integration and parity of features Intune is a full fledged MDM option now. Microsoft made a big push to get Intune up to speed after Windows 10 was released. We are considering also using Intune or Microsoft's Endpoint Management for our PC's instead of SCCM. All our iOS devices are registered in Apple DEP/ASM so the conversion will be a potential summer job to wipe, re-enroll and configure about 11,000 devices since only one MDM solution can be active in ASM (similar to ABM)! We have not started using ASM's Azure federation yet but that is on the table too.
0 Kudos
RAJESHKUMARRAJ1
Contributor
Contributor

We're also using WS1 and also exploring the Intune EMM but looking for Windows 10 OS mgmt along ios and android device mgmt.

Do you guys have done poC on Windows 10 OS mgmt with either WS1 or Intune EMM. Can you please share the docx with me so that  i can also start working on the poC on windows 10 OS mgmt with WS1 or Intune EMM.

Any reference link would also be helpful for me.
Thanks.
0 Kudos