VMware Workspace ONE Community
KLytle
Contributor
Contributor

Migration Tool(macOS)

Has anyone automated their migration from another management platform to Workspace ONE?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
KishoreBandaru
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Keith,

For enrollment, Yes - VMware team has created custom script to automate the migration, but user would need to accept MDM profile after enrolling to WS1.

P.S. UAMDM

Thanks,
Kishore
0 Kudos
KLytle
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for confirming that something like this exists. Do you know where I can get a hold of it?
0 Kudos
KishoreBandaru
Contributor
Contributor

I am working with Kurt - kostrom@vmware.com, he is VMWare rep for us.
0 Kudos
KLytle
Contributor
Contributor

At this time we have received two python scripts from our VMware reps. Although ultimately we wont be using them anymore. We did elevate the user privileges to admin, then it allows the user to enter their password. We dont advertise that is what we are doing and then remove the privileges and force a restart after the MDM is approved and migration has "completed". We are waiting about a minute to allow most of the profiles the come after the MDM enrollment so that the machine is mostly ready again for use at restart.

0 Kudos
KLytle
Contributor
Contributor

Since I cant edit the above for some reason, to be fair the reason we aren't using the script anymore is that we didn't know what we needed when it was being created. We needed multi-staging and we set it up as a single stage process. We ended up migrating most users under the single stage user process which is something we will have to undo at some point down the road. We migrated about 80% of our environment before we realized that we needed multi-staging to handle our varied use cases. The script could have been re-written but there are some limitations with multi-staging so we just resigned ourselves to finish the rest off using a manual process.

0 Kudos
KishoreBandaru
Contributor
Contributor

Hi KLytle,

if you would use multistaging user account, how UAMDM is taken care of in migration.

And hoping you might have used API call to replace staging user account with login user account for device inventory.

0 Kudos
dcompton
Contributor
Contributor

KLytle, I'm transitioning from Jamf to WS1 probably. Can you pass on any wisdom for this transition and/or possible workarounds you've had to implement going from Jamf to Ws1? Any response is appreciated.

0 Kudos