VMware Workspace ONE Community
ReedSt
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating Public iOS Apps to Purchased iOS Apps

Lets say you have an App, like Workspace One Hub, that you've been deploying with the user's Apple ID since the before VPP was a thing. Now you want to migrate to device assigned apps using VPP. Is there a way to migrate those apps without removing them from the device? If not, is there a way to isolate out the devices with individually licensed apps and use only VPP Device assigned  apps going forward?

I have tried a few ways but can't find a way to create the assignment groups. One method I'd considered was grouping device based on enrollment date, set a date and all devices before that date stay on individual apps and all devices moving forward get VPP apps, but can't find a way to do that.

Any suggestions are welcome.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For hub get the app vpp assign it to everyone and turn on take management and auto push it then once it has deployed for a while remove the public one.  You are strongly recommended to turn off any app present compliance requirements since some will probably get removed but not many.  For other apps theoretically making them available should do it but I never tested that.  DO NOT remove the apps out of order VPP must run for a while first or you will cause a mass uninstall.