VMware Workspace ONE Community
DenisdeWit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Managed Gmail Password change

Hi,

We have a customer using Android devices in Work Profile and COPE mode. They have a password change policy in place which required users to change their AD passwords every 180 days. The customer is using the managed Gmail ActiveSync profile from WS1 18.10 and users are able to set their password the first time they received the email profile. But if they like to change the password, the field in Gmail is grayed out, so users won't be able to change their ActiveSync Gmail password. Has anybody come around this issue?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
TonyBomber
Contributor
Contributor

I just discovered this today.  Same thing.  I will post a reply if I find the solution.
0 Kudos
zohebramzan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, we are having the same problem , anyone have a solution?

thank you
0 Kudos
CharlesTchia
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, joining the conversation here. Had been working fine for us till Christmas and now I've come back from leave and I'm getting walk ups about this. Seen this on Samsung Note 9 and Motorola G4 Plus.
0 Kudos
dcorna
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,
we've seen this issue and we've performed some tests. The field is indeed greyed out, and it remains like that.
However, when a user changes his email password (usually from the pc or from web), Gmail app on the device will ' wait'  some hours (and email sync will work during this time), and then it will acknowledge the password change, and ask the user to insert a new password in a specific page. After doing this, the password field is still greyed out, but the password has been updated.

Could you verify if you have this same behavior?
0 Kudos
CharlesTchia
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Davide

Yes, I see the behaviour as you've described. I changed my password on my pc, then when I go to check on the device, it says no connection, then a minute or 2 later, I get Correct Credentials required with a sign-in option. From here, I can edit the password, after I've done so, it greys it out again.
0 Kudos
CharlesTchia
Contributor
Contributor

Further to this, I've logged a case with support and this is their response so far.

On further investigation, our escalation team has found that the later versions of the Gmail app require the user's authentication to be challenged by Exchange server in order to change the password. In other words the password must be incorrect or have expired and require a new password.

Can you confirm if this is also the case with your devices? To test you must change a user's Active Directory password then start the app. It should check and allow you to change the password.

We think that a password update in AD should be the only time a user needs to change this field in the app.

This seems to be a known issue . However, our R&D team is investigating to confirm if the issue is from Workspace One side or from Google end.
0 Kudos
CharlesTchia
Contributor
Contributor

latest from AW support

I went through the logs and also had a chance to check with my backend Team and understood that this issue started with the update to Gmail App.

As we had received confirmation from other customers that a latest update was released (v2019.12.30) which resolved this issue. Could you please check on a test device if the Gmail App is updated and the issue still occurs.

I can confirm that it's editable now

0 Kudos