VMware Workspace ONE Community
xiaogui2005
Contributor
Contributor

Macos catalina Reinstall the system(The computer reinstalls the system for new employees)

I want to reinstall the Macos catalina system through UEM (distribute the computer to new employees).

old Macos catalina is 10.15.5

First, upload the "install Macos catalina 10.15.6" installation package in UEM, the size is 8.3G

And in the deployment script, navigate to the Scripts tab. In Pre-Install Script,

"#!/bin/sh

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --eraseinstall --newvolumename "Macintosh HD" --agreetolicense"

But I found that after the application was released, it did not take effect.

UEM thought that Macos catalina was already installed on the system and prevented the download of the new 10.15.6 installation package to Applications.

Do you have best practices?

Labels (1)
2 Replies
rterakedis
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

xiaogui2005​,

I would first point you to this specific tutorial:   Managing Major OS Updates for Mac: VMware Workspace ONE Operational Tutorial | VMware  I realize you're attempting to do something different, but some of the discussion in that tutorial describes how to deliver the OS installer to the device.   You don't necessarily need to deliver the full-blown installer via Internal Apps.

Some other thoughts:

• If you do go the route to deliver the full installer, you'll need to make sure that (if you're SaaS-hosted) your quota for max file size has been increased to accommodate the larger file. 
  • The deployment script would probably work better in the "Post-Install" field instead of pre-install.
  • You shouldn't need to include sudo, as the process is already running with system/root context.
  • You may need to add the "--nointeraction" flag to your command line also.

THere was also some discussion on this thread:  

xiaogui2005
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for your reply. I tried this article and it was OK. The system described in the article was upgraded from Majave to Catalina. But if the system itself is 10.15.5, reinstall the new system (the reason for using internal APPs does not occupy the company's export bandwidth). Use the command to distribute the log. The log shows that it has been installed(Install_MacOS_Catalina version 10.15.6 is already installed ), but it is not in the Macos/application path.

截屏2020-08-27 下午5.31.44.png

thanks

0 Kudos