VMware Workspace ONE Community
BrianPitt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mac App Install

I created an installer for Aodbe Creative Cloud launcher on a Mac test machine.  I used the VMWare Airwatch Assistant Tool to create the .dmg and .plist file.  I then deleted the files from the Mac (after I copied them up to our file server) and closed the VMWare Tool.  l created the Application in WorkSpace One and Assigned to a group that had that same test Mac in it to Auto Deploy the new app.

The Test mac doesnt install the package, but if you run a script to see what is installing, it will say the app is already installed.  If you then go back to the console and remove the Mac from the Group, and run the script again, it will say the software is NOT installed.  Add the Mac back into the group (to have it installed) and the script will say its installed already, even though its no where on the Mac and the actual installer was NEVER run, only the VMWare Tool was run to create the package and plist file.

Any reason why this would happen???

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KLytle
Contributor
Contributor

Have you found a resolution to this yet? We have an installer for Adobe CC now but we had to work at it a bit. I think we had 2-3 attempts at making the .dmg and couple times making the plist. I'm not in office today but I can look Monday at our deployment if its still not working for you.

0 Kudos
rterakedis
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

BrianPitt​ -- This type of behavior is generally caused by what the underlying framework is using to determine whether the software is installed.   A good place to determine this is to look at the contents of the plist file created by the Admin Assistant tool.   Specifically, you'll want to look at what is listed in the "Installs" or "receipts" array(s).   I'm not sure how much of this is still applicable, but I worked with one of our customers to put together some guidance awhile back:   https://github.com/vmware-samples/euc-samples/tree/master/macOS-Samples/3rd-Party_Software_Guidance/... 

The net result is that you need to follow the guidelines of how the underlying framework (munki) is determining whether the software is installed:   https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/How-Munki-Decides-What-Needs-To-Be-Installed