VMware Workspace ONE Community
AntonThirifays
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Legacy VPP to Apple Business Manager Token

Hi,

We're having an issue to renew the VPP token from legacy VPP System to Apple Business Manager system.

The dedicated account we were using with VPP Legacy has been transferred to Apple Business Manager program.

Our UEM was set for years with the legacy VPP and we are trying to set the new ABM token except that when trying to renew the New ABM token (Under Settings > Apps & Books > My Server Tokens > Download the one corresponding to the location) then it is rejected when tried to be renewed with the following error message  in UEM : "Save Failed : Uploaded sToken is not the renewed version of the old sToken".

The deadline to renew the token was April 6th, so we decided to renew old legacy token with the "new" legacy token downloaded from ABM.

This worked and gave us 3 more weeks to find a nice conclusion on that.

Any token taken either from this dedicated account or from another Content Manager rights account will be denied by UEM with the same error message.

It seems that we will have to clear the token and renew it.

The only app which we have deployed so far in VPP is Intelligent Hub, which is also distributed to the same devices from Public Apps.

So even if we clear the token, and reimport a new one, we should not have any impact on our devices.

Did somebody face the same kind of issues ? Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Anton

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

There were some tokens that got updated in our VPP to ASM conversion process but they were the exception and I don't know what the difference was. If the interface said "...This is not a replacement for the old token..." then we had to remove the old one and put in the new one. There was no immediate change on installed apps but in time they would have been removed. As long as the app licenses were replaced under the new token the user saw no changes. We have never used Internal or Public apps. We had issues with Public free apps so have only used them as Purchased free apps. We have over 5000 Purchased apps divided among about 50 different OG's with their own Apple ID's so there are many apps duplicated but purchased separately.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Clear the old token and replace it with the new one. All apps need to be added from ABM from now on and will work with your existing setup. Since you only have one app that is easy to replace. If you had purchased apps under the old token that were not immediately converted to new licenses in ABM you may be able to get them by using Configurator on a Mac logged into the old account and use the "Revoke Licenses" option.

AntonThirifays
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello RichB2u2

Thanks for your answer.

So there is no way just to "update" the token and assure a continuity in the service without clearing it ?

Also, from your experience, given we deploy the app both in VPP and in Public Apps, when we cut the link, nothing should move on the devices, shouldn't it ? (VPP App removed but still deployed through public app).

Thanks !

Anton

0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

There were some tokens that got updated in our VPP to ASM conversion process but they were the exception and I don't know what the difference was. If the interface said "...This is not a replacement for the old token..." then we had to remove the old one and put in the new one. There was no immediate change on installed apps but in time they would have been removed. As long as the app licenses were replaced under the new token the user saw no changes. We have never used Internal or Public apps. We had issues with Public free apps so have only used them as Purchased free apps. We have over 5000 Purchased apps divided among about 50 different OG's with their own Apple ID's so there are many apps duplicated but purchased separately.

0 Kudos
AntonThirifays
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Alrighty then, thanks for the explanation and insight.

Solving this thread !

Good day,

Anton

0 Kudos
HimanshuMishra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello All, 

I am getting the same error while uploading the new token. We were using the legacy VPP portal until last week. Then we generated a new token in ASM on 11/05 with a new location and uploaded in AirWatch. It gave an error while uploading but then reflected the renewed date .i.e 11/05/2021. So it looks like we were able to upload the new token in AirWatch and then somehow it was revoked. Now we are trying to renew it again and getting “uploaded stoken is not the renewed version of old stoken”. If I try to clear the revoked token, I get a scary warning that "Deleting the sToken will uninstall VPP applications purchased for your VPP account from all assigned devices and revoke the license." We have some applications that need to be configured manually on the device. If we lose apps after clearing the existing token, then we will be in big trouble.

If you cleared the existing token and uploaded a new one, did you lose applications ? I am hoping that the warning message is like a threat and it  gives us a grace period to assign licenses in ASM. 

Thanks !!

0 Kudos
Noordan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have also seen this several times. Is the only solution to remove and replace the vpp token?

Regards

0 Kudos
HimanshuMishra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware said that sTokens must be migrated from the Legacy VPP portal into Apple School Manager in a specific order, and if those steps are done incorrectly, it will break the relationship between Workspace ONE and Apple School Manager. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2960505

Only option is to clear the sToken from Workspace ONE. So long as your VPP apps have a duplicated assignment under the Public tab as "On-Demand" with no restrictions enabled, it will keep the app from being removed.

AntonThirifays
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, 

Just noticed that I had some more replies to this thread.

To ensure nothing moves on the devices used side, make sure the app is also deployed in public before clearing the token.

Anton

0 Kudos
Noordan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for answer.

I solved the problem with as you described with replacing the sToken. 
I have understand what I did wrong. I accidently migrated the account into an already existing location I ABM, where a migration already had been done. 

Luckily this migration were to a test environment.

0 Kudos