VMware Workspace ONE Community
workspacenewb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Kiosk mode with a webapp on Android?

I am doing an eval of Workspace ONE UEM. We want to run a single web app in kiosk (single app) mode. I've it running ... except that Chrome has two tabs, both pointing to my webapp URL. Also, I can do a "new tab" and go where ever I want to go. I want users to be locked into my webapp URL only.

Here's how I have it set up: I have a bookmark pointing to the webapp. And I have a device profile with a launcher, with the "canvas" app being my webapp and Chrome has my "hidden" app. The launcher profile's assignment type is "auto" and the bookmark profile's assignment type is set to "optional."

I have tried other ways, but have run into other strange errors. E.g., just a bookmark in the launcher gets me a "no whitelisted browsers" error message. When I try to set up new launchers to try out, sometimes I can't see any bookmarks at all to drag onto the canvas, even though the bookmarks are in the "web links" tab.

What is the right way to set this up? TIA for your thoughts.

PS: bonus question. It seems like there's no way to access the launcher's admin box from kiosk mode. Is that right?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
workspacenewb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have some progress to report: I shouldn't have tried to deploy this as a weblink. Instead I should have followed this KB article: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/50121105. In short, it suggests creating a profile with specific Chrome browser restrictions to point at my webapp. It doesn't say so explicitly, but for a kiosk mode approach I needed to add in a Launcher profile too.

I am still trying to figure out how to set policies for the browser that aren't covered in the restrictions profile, but will create a new post for that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
workspacenewb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have some progress to report: I shouldn't have tried to deploy this as a weblink. Instead I should have followed this KB article: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/50121105. In short, it suggests creating a profile with specific Chrome browser restrictions to point at my webapp. It doesn't say so explicitly, but for a kiosk mode approach I needed to add in a Launcher profile too.

I am still trying to figure out how to set policies for the browser that aren't covered in the restrictions profile, but will create a new post for that.

0 Kudos
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would like to also point out that the VMWare Browser can also offer a very locked-down kiosk experience, especially when paired with Launcher.

0 Kudos