VMware Workspace ONE Community
habit81
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Java upgrade on WS1 on-premise server

Hi, are there any contraindications against automatic Java upgrades on WS1 servers hosting (DS, AWCM and Console)? I do recall that in the past some of the AirWatch services were dependent on exact Java installation folders (I think it was either Proxy or MAG).
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
anonymousmigrat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I`d still not recommend JavaRE-Auto-Update. I only update JRE through the WSOne-Integrated installers and one still needs to keep an eye on AWCM, SEGv2 (which usually works fine) and especially Windows VMware-Tunnel-Cert-Stores. 
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have always heard them say to engage AirWatch support if you need to update Java outside of the updates built into the installers.
0 Kudos
sturmanc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With Oracle Java JRE 8 being end of free support.  What is the direction or path for JRE?
Do they support the free versions or OpenJDK?

https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/oracle-java-se-releases-faq
The January 15th, 2019 scheduled Critical Patch Update of Java 8 (8u201, and the related 8u202 Patch Set Update) are the last update available under the BCL license which is generally free for general purpose desktop and server use, and has been the Oracle JDK license for several years.  The following update of Java 8, scheduled for April 16, 2019 (8u211 and the related 8u212 Patch Set Update), will be made available under a new license which will be free for personal individual desktop use, and free for development, testing, prototyping and demonstration purposes.
0 Kudos
RyanChiRyanChi1
Contributor
Contributor

I just got off a call with AirWatch support about the new Java licensing model. I was told that it's being researched but the support rep I talked to had no dates or further information.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Stephen is correct. Consult with VMware first if you need to update Java manually for whatever reason.
0 Kudos
BarisGulener
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

A critical vulnerability has been reported in the Java version installed with version 1903. We also updated Java, but we found that some devices did not come with App Catalog. When we downgrade Java, we see that the problem has improved. The customer wants to close the vulnerability by updating Java, but is causing problems with AirWatch. Is there an article showing the relationship between Java version and AirWatch versions?

Regards,
Baris
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

not to my knowledge you have to ticket with AirWatch on it be sure to update the java install location
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You will also need to find out how licensing for Java works since it is no longer the embedded version.  If you do find that out please share that information.
0 Kudos
TimWelbourn
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a support case about Java licensing and my support analyst confirmed that this article also applies to Workspace ONE UEM products:
https://blogs.vmware.com/apps/2018/12/oracle-java-se-8-support-update-what-it-means-to-vmware-custom...
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That article covers licensing for when Java is embedded did they confirm that you are still covered by the embedded licensee if you manually update the Java version?
0 Kudos
TimWelbourn
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't ask that specific question.
0 Kudos