VMware Workspace ONE Community
lonchmeister
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to uninstall the apps which were installed manually before WS1?

Screenshot: https://ibb.co/gwDjpTx
There was this app, which is still installed on many devices years ago, way before WS1. It is shown in the installed apps on a device, however we can not manage it nor uninstall it. (Sophos SSL VPN 2.1)
We deployed this same app in the workspace one (Sophos VPN), hoping it might be possible to uninstall it abroad with "uninstall" string, well it works but only if this exact deploy-package is installed. so basically, now it shows two different packages, one which was already there (which i cant manage) and the one I deployed, which would need to be installed first... as you can see in the screenshot

We thought that if we deploy this Sophos app into Workspace One and set it "MDM Managed" this could enable us to uninstall local installed app, However it didn't quite work out. 

I hope there is a way to overcome this. If anyone has the answer or an idea, I would be very thankful

Best regards,

Antonio Loncarevic

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Afshin_Lak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe write a powershell script to remove the app and push the script to de device with UEM.

0 Kudos
Phil_Helmling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the package you have in WS1 is actually the same version as that already installed prior to enrolment, then this is just a case of the App Sample not consolidating the list. It is a known issue and being worked on. 

If you truely need to uninstall apps that are unmanaged, then create a new app in WS1 using a dummy.exe file with a "." as the install command, and the correct "When to call the install complete" settings configured. Then add the correct uninstall command. When you assign that app to your devices, any device that has the "When to call the install complete" settings will report as app installed and not run the install command. You can then uninstall.

You can also use this in conjunction with upgrading that app by adding a new version with "Add Version" and providing the real install binary, install command, ""When to call the install complete" settings and uninstall command.

0 Kudos
lonchmeister
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Phil, thank you for your help. It didn't work still, but I think we might be close.
I set the registry key as criteria for the installation.. I installed the app manually on test laptop and then used my deployed app to install the app again over it, then uninstall.. it worked, and the app is alltogether gone.

however, on other user's pc, i tried just the same and this error pops up
Device Returned: Add command status : 200 - Success, Exec command status : 500 - CommandFailed

looks like something is wrong with the install command and it doesnt get executed. 
i wonder if it might have anything to do with version .. it is the same version (2.1), however old app is shown as 2.1 with no additional zeros, whereas the app I deployed shows up as 2.1.0.0 ... i mean it is the same, but idk.

thought my script might be false, but im confused as it seems to work on other PC

0 Kudos