VMware Workspace ONE Community
Hocshop
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Is it supported to use a UAG appliance for both Horizon & IDM?

Hi all,

I am fairly new to EUC and I am trying to find out if it is supported to use the same UAG appliance(s) for the integrations of Identity Manager AND Horizon.

I found another question that someone answered where they said it was not supported and there should be dedicated UAGs for each solution however no prrof was attached to their post.

So I am asking here to see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

The reason why is I am going to deploy IDM in a new environment but I won´t be responsible for the Horizon side of things.

So I want to know if the UAGs that I will probably deploy, could be used to connect to my part (Identity Mgr) and in the future the other part (Connection Servers) at the same time.

Can anyone help with some proof of the whether this is supported or not?

Regards

Mark

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

One Unified Access Gateway can service multiple backend services. Like VMware Identity Manager and Horizon. But why? When we do production designs we try to separate Unified Access Gateways so they serve different backends. It is more complicated to host multiple services behind one and the same Unified Access Gateway. You must think about load and potential conflicting patterns.

In very small environments it might makes sense.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Hocshop
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

....or whether I should just think about connecting IDM to the UAGs and, in the future, if the client wants to connect to their desktops from outside the domain they can just integrate the Connection Servers with the IDM?

Then the UAGs are just dealing with the integration with IDM.

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

One Unified Access Gateway can service multiple backend services. Like VMware Identity Manager and Horizon. But why? When we do production designs we try to separate Unified Access Gateways so they serve different backends. It is more complicated to host multiple services behind one and the same Unified Access Gateway. You must think about load and potential conflicting patterns.

In very small environments it might makes sense.

0 Kudos
Hocshop
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks very much pbjork.

That makes sense.

Do you by any chance know of a public facing document that says as much?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sorry I do not. But again both separate Unified Access Gateways per backend and not are fully supported. So it’s just a matter of if you want all eggs in one basket or not. Looking at sizing guidelines it all talks about individual services. We do not offer a sizing guide where we have combined many.

0 Kudos
Hocshop
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks very much pbjork.

0 Kudos
Odurasler2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Hocshop! Just curious to your thoughts regarding the question that you received.  Because, I too, am interested in whether it would make sense to deploy each technology (Horizon and vIDM) with their own dedicated UAG. I'm trying to understand the "complexities" of just having one UAG for both services.

0 Kudos