VMware Workspace ONE Community
BobFafard
Contributor
Contributor

Intune protection policies

I was informed that my intune protection policies in WS1 would require the Microsoft company portal app to correctly use the Client app management properties in Airwatch. But a device cannot be in two MDM solutions. Example: Device enrolled in WS1, App deployment comes from WS1 (outlook app), We credential in with a company account into outlook an I am immediately prompted with the following message ' to use your work or school account with the app, you must install the Microsoft Intune company Portal app. Tap ' go to Store'  to continue.'  If I click cancel the following message appears. The Intune company portal is required for this account. You will not be able to use outlook unitl the company portal is installed or this account is removed. To install the company portal choose keep account and follow the on-screen prompts. Is company portal really required, or did I configure something wrong.

If I choose to add the intune company portal, I get a new prompt telling me your administrator has not given you access to this item.

Labels (1)
3 Replies
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Bob I'm assuming you already found your answer but in case anyone else runs into this in the future (my company just started the switch to 365) you can enable it from with out the app at least that's my understanding from the document linked below.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/9.5/vmware-airwatch-guides-95/GUID-AW95-Office36...

0 Kudos
LSIMM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is very confusing right now, I'm also trying to suss this out and not getting a clear understanding, as VMware docs state to install the Company Portal but Microsoft's own site says the device cant be in another MDM.  Which makes sense, because if you use Intune as an MDM, then the company portal app is what has to be installed.

I would have thought that if Workspace ONE is natively supporting the Microsoft graph API's, then the Hub app would have the SDK in place, meaning no need for a secondary app.
0 Kudos
RyanWampler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For iOS app protection policies from Intune, you do NOT need the Intune Company Portal app to be installed.  For Android, you do need the Company Portal app, HOWEVER, the client doesn't need to open the app or do anything with it.  It just needs to be installed.
0 Kudos