VMware Workspace ONE Community
PeterGkc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Intelligent Hub just spinning on newly enrolled iOS devices

We just upgraded to version 2008 and when you launch Hub you get the "Allow notifications" prompt, then you see the blue splash screen emblem, then it just spins. It never times out or says it cannot connect or anything. This is only on a device that gets provisioned\re-provisioned. Existing devices connect just fine. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
K223
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just had a similar issue enrolling IOS devices via DEP and utilizing the Intelligent Hub.  We were using the latest version of the Hub and running WS1 2011.  After enrolling a device, apps would begin loading and the Intelligent Hub would start.  I have a staging profile that is used when the device is checked in, which puts the device in single app mode running the Intelligent Hub for the login.  The Hub would just continue to spin and seem like it was loading.  In most cases it never did present a login.  I would have to reboot the device several times or remove the profile and manually kill the Hub on the device.  After restarting the Hub, it would normally come up fine and ask you to allow or deny sending data to VMware.  Then it would come to the login.  At this point the device would function fine.  So this is only a couple of work arounds I used to get the device loaded.  At this point, I could not resolve the problem.  It made a simple task of enrolling devices in a several day, hands on process.  

0 Kudos
PeterGkc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. My issue is with a device that is enrolled via DEP that has the Intelligent Hub application automatically deployed. I have used this successfully for the last 2 years without any issue. Today I noticed if I do manually download and enroll via the Hub it works every time. I have tried killing the app and re-starting several times. Like you it acts like it is loading but just spins. Existing devices load just fine. And on new devices, even though it is spinning, the device is enrolled and I can manage everything normally it seems. 

0 Kudos
K223
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My apps are purchased through our ABM and then assigned by group.  I haven't done this manually to try.  Yeah it's terrible and really throw's a wrench into the enrollment process overall.  The only work around is to power cycle or kill the hub and restart it again.  I have not taken the issue to support as of yet.  

0 Kudos
PeterGkc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My apps are as well which is why manual download is not an option. I just tried it as a form of troubleshooting. I have 3 iPads I have tried and tried on. I got one to finally prompt for allowing location but that's it. It won't go any further and I cannot the others to even get that far. I do have a ticket open on it. 

0 Kudos
K223
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

14.5 is out!  But at this point where the problem is would be a guess.  Please post any updates, going to follow this.                                  

0 Kudos
PeterGkc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When did this start happening to you? We were in version 2001 until this morning. We upgraded to 2008 (was told 2011 was too buggy) and that's when this started happening. 

0 Kudos
PeterGkc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got a couple to go by repeatedly launching and killing Hub but it is not consistent at all. And it took over 20 tries.

0 Kudos
K223
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes it's a tedious work around to get all your new enrolled devices loaded and functioning.  Still it was the only way at the time I could complete my deployments.  We are at WS1 2011.0.12 (On Prem).  I never did get to try this configuration on an earlier version of WS1.  Since we both have the same issue, and if this has been corrected.  It's a fix several versions newer I gather.  Curious to what support can tell you at this point.  

0 Kudos
PeterGkc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I spent the morning on the phone with VMWare support. I am under the impression this is becoming a wider spread issue as the person I worked said they had 2 other tickets for similar and some other people she knew were working similar tickets. One thing I noted is the prompt to "Allow Notifications" is popping BEHIND Hub. Meaning you have to hit the home button or swipe up to minimize Hub to see the prompt. That is not how it has ever worked. On the test device at one point I did get it to prompt to allow location but never did get to the EULA and it just spins to no end. I sent them over some logs but I have the hunch this is application related. Why it started happening now is a good question. We were on 2001 OnPrem and never had the issue. Upgraded to 2008 and now we have it. I told her about a person on 2011 having a similar issue and she said had a ticket for that version as well as someone on 2102. She did test a manual enrollment into my instance and it worked fine. This for me anyway seems to be specific to VPP and the application coming from the MDM. 

0 Kudos
K223
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My issue seems similar to yours utilizing VPP and the app coming from the MDM.  It sounds as if we are not alone.  We are applying an emergency update to take us to the latest 2011 has to offer this afternoon.  I will try to locate a device on hand to test with and see by chance, if this help's things out.  The update relates to some other connectivity issue's we are having and was just informed about.  

0 Kudos
PeterGkc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any progress since your update? I will be back on the phone with support this morning. I left n iPad spinning for the last 5 days an it just spins. Very weird.

0 Kudos
K223
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's generally how it will go.  It will stay in that particular mode forever in most cases.  I have been struggling to find an available device that is free and originally configured for our ABM to simulate the exact enrollment.  I guess I can try to enroll a non assigned Ipad and see how this works out anyway.  I hope support can offer quick assistance with this problem. 

0 Kudos
PeterGkc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Okay well, they think they have an idea. It appears to be an SDK issue at least according to the logs I gave them. She went through literally every OG I have to make sure the Settings > Devices & Users > Apple IOS > Intelligent Hub Settings  had iOS Default Settings @ Global in the SDK profile. She also said she had 3 other customers with the same issue and all are On-Prem. She did indicate that she found one of the SDK Profile settings wrong in another customer and when she changed it then they were fixed. No such luck on my end as mine are all correct. 

0 Kudos
mURGALICIOUS
Contributor
Contributor

+1 for this solution. 
20.5.0.21 @on prem here. 

0 Kudos
PeterGkc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you elaborate a little for me? What exactly did you see that was wrong? We checked every OG we have and cannot see any wrong setting. 

0 Kudos
PeterGkc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Support came back this morning with this. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/82294

We are going to schedule the patch tomorrow and see what happens.

0 Kudos
K223
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How has this worked out for you?

0 Kudos
PeterGkc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually worked for us. I noticed the patch I initially downloaded when we upgraded to 2008 was older than the one I downloaded 2 days ago. So in a weeks time the changed the patch. But so far so good.

0 Kudos
K223
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sounds great!  We updated as well several days ago.  I just don't have any devices on hand at the moment to test in the same way as the production units.  I did however work with one device and while the enrollment wasn't the same, the Intelligent Hub loaded quickly and no problems.  So here's to hoping.  

0 Kudos