VMware Workspace ONE Community
maziboss
Contributor
Contributor

Intelligent Hub is not installing after enrollment (macOS DEP)

Hi,

i have no idea why the automatically installing Intelligent Hub after enrollment via DEP stop working.

We use Octory app (deployed via Bootstrap package) to manage installed applications, everything was working fine 2 weeks ago. At this moment WS1 is not installing Intelligent Hub on macOS.

All necessary options in console are enabled.

Any idea how to fix it?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
rterakedis
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

maziboss​ --

We generally recommend that you do not deploy BOTH a bootstrap package and the automatic Hub install at enrollment.   If you enable both, Workspace ONE sends two InstallEnterpriseApplication commands during enrollment.   Theoretically, this shouldn't be a problem.  However, in real life it seems that depending on the version of macOS installed, macOS may fail to act on the 2nd command.   We've brought this to Apple's attention multiple times, and it seems to go through this regular process where it's fixed in one version of the OS and then a few months go by and a minor upgrade breaks it again.  

If you're sure that the Bootstrap Package is assigned correctly and the Automatic Hub Install is enabled correctly (at Settings > Devices & Users > Apple > MacOS > Intelligent Hub Settings, I would suggest opening a Support Ticket with both Apple Support and VMware Support -- they can coordinate troubleshooting together.    Step 1 is to make sure both commands are getting there, Step 2 look at unified logging to see if macOS is generating an error message.

0 Kudos
maziboss
Contributor
Contributor

rterakedis​ Thank you for your answer. So should I include intelligent hub installer in to bootstrap package and try install it during enrollment process?

I see that all applications created by me are not installed because of Intelligent Hub.

0 Kudos
rterakedis
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

maziboss​ - that is a good way to do it.   Also, i did just become aware of a bug in UEM 2004 that may cause this behavior also (specific to the hub automatically not deploying).  

You are correct - Internal Apps and Products require the Intelligent hub in order for the installation to happen.

0 Kudos
maziboss
Contributor
Contributor

rterakedis

I read the logs and we found that Intelligent Hub is not downloading (process storedownloadd in console app). The message is: sending status (VMware Workspace One Intelligent Hub): 0.00000% (0.00000).

VPP apps have a correct status and we see downloading progress. Deploying bootstrap package is disabled in WS1. What should we do now?

0 Kudos
rterakedis
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

maziboss​ - If the bootstrap package (octory) is currently disabled, and the bootstrap package still won’t deploy, you may want to open a support case.  

0 Kudos
maziboss
Contributor
Contributor

New macOS was released and the same issue. Intelligent Hub is not installed after enrollment. The worst scenario is that vpp apps are not installed either. Environment cn1300...

@rterakedis is there any maintenance right now or issues?

0 Kudos
phongshader
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue although it started with an upgrade to Big Sur. I've disabled Install Hub after Enrollment and created a bootstrap package for the Hub app but WS1 is still not pushing bootstrap packages.

0 Kudos
JamesOrewiler
Contributor
Contributor

Did this ever get resolved?  I'm having the same issue and would love to hear of a solution.

0 Kudos
rterakedis
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There was an issue with a previous version of the Intelligent Hub installer, specific to M1 macs.   Are the macs having issues M1-based, Intel-based, or a mix?   

Are you deploying the hub that is seeded in the console, or are you uploading a new version of the hub as a bootstrap package?   If you're doing a bootstrap package, make sure you're not trying to also deploy the seeded version.   This is a bug that seems to get resolve and periodically reintroduced where macOS will just fail to run any InstallEnterpriseApplication commands during AwaitConfiguration if more than one command is sent.

0 Kudos
JamesOrewiler
Contributor
Contributor

As of yesterday I am using a bootstrap package... this is working.

I have an open case with VMware but they have not been able to resolve.  I'm going to have to use the above until they know more.  I may just go with it going forward.

0 Kudos
ATH1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

We're still faced this issue, the hub isn't in the bootstrap and the Automatic Hub Install is enabled correctly.

But when I create a Big Sur's VM the Hub is installed but the automatic applications are not installed.

Do you have some news ?

Have a good day.

0 Kudos
rterakedis
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just making sure that you all are aware of this KB article also:   https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/82642

There's an issue that arises when using the Require admin password to install or update apps key in a macOS Restrictions profile that prevents Bootstrap packages (including Hub), and VPP apps to be installed on Big Sur.

0 Kudos
maziboss
Contributor
Contributor

This is not working. I don't have a profile with restriction and bootstrap and vpp apps for Mac are not installed. i am disgusted with vmware support. The WS1 for Big Sur has a lot of bugs and the macOS was released on November!

ATH1
Contributor
Contributor

it's worked for me, when i enroll the Mac I am waiting 5 minutes in user creation page (page with autofill, where username and password was automatically filled) and after i see the Hub installed in the desktop ! You can try it !

0 Kudos
maziboss
Contributor
Contributor

This is not a solution... Lottery with boostrap package and the vpp apps are not installed when you pass the assistant quickly. VMware support are not able to help us. I am disappointed with WS1. 

rpenafiel09
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm having the same issue since mid Jan and still no resolution from support. The Hub randomly fails to install and fails all the time on Big Sur 11.3 Beta version. I see managed profiles install and VPP apps but Internal App fail to install. Also, tried the delay in the setup which also works randomly. And occasionally pushing the Hub app from the console works but again no real solutions for this issue.

0 Kudos
Darkomen78
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. Hub is correctly installed. With luck one or some VPP apps successfully install then one stucks and there is no way to unstuck that.

And of course we haven't "Require admin password to install or update apps" settings.

0 Kudos
rpenafiel09
Contributor
Contributor

Well, we finally solved the issue for the Hub not installing right after DEP enrollment. However, our Internal Apps are consistently no longer installing. Before, when we had random success with the Hub installing, Internal apps would Install as long as the Hub install successfully. We solved the Hub install by reseeding the latest version of the Hub app. All worked great for 1 day then the we noticed Internal Apps were no longer installing. 

0 Kudos