VMware Workspace ONE Community
jricottilli
Contributor
Contributor

IOS 14.4 and higher requiring users to language, region, appearance, display zoom after each reboot

I'm at a loss here. We tested our environment on iOS14 and higher on an iPhone se 2020 (several of them) with no issues for months. We purchased the iPhone 11 and started a test deployment with our IT staff...still no problems. We deployed almost 300 devices to our users last week and many of them require the users to select their language, region, appearance & display zoom after each reboot of the iPhone 11. I've contact support for both VMware and Apple and still have no solutions after a week. If we un-assign the iPhone 11 allow it to provision without the MDM it's fine so Apple says it's definitely the MDM. I went through all of our project status, configuration, etc. notes and see that the only thing that's really changed since testing initially started was configuring SSO on WS1 access (so hub uses SSO and we'll be configuring ADFS next week - we don't have any current apps that use it, however, we'll be deploying one in the fall). 

Has anyone experienced this? If so, have you found a way to fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

8 Replies
Phil-A7
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing a similar issue, however it is only prompting for language and region for now. No known fix yet, our users are upgrading to iOS 14.6 and we are seeing the issues only on newly joined devices so far, none on already existing devices (even if we wipe and reload them). 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Noordan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I have also seen this. and I think it is related to which payloads that you are showing in the dep-profile. I think one of my customer could refer it to the "welcome Screen". but I'm not totally sure. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
sluzi1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Been having this as well. It's very easy to duplicate it happening because the setup assistant, during DEP enrollment, does not complete. It crashes out, in our case, after setting Biometrics and PIN, leaving others we have enabled such as Software Updates & Location Services unfinished.

You can determine this is a problem because 1) Apple App Store apps will not install, only VPP apps will and 2) Restarting the device takes you back to the setup assistant.

I filed a case with VMware about this and they said to contact Apple, which is not helpful since this only happens during DEP.

0 Kudos
sluzi1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So, I opened another case with our VMware overlords and performed some regression testing by basically enabling 1 setting at a time to figure out what the hell is causing this issue.

In short, for us, it looks like disabling the passcode and biometric step in the DEP profile has consistently worked-around the setup assistant crashing out or finishing in a bugged state which triggers the setup assistant again during a reboot.

0 Kudos
Phil-A7
Contributor
Contributor

We do not do anything here in regards to biometric requirements so I wonder what will fix my issue...more to play around with...

0 Kudos
sluzi1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To be specific, I set these values to 'skip' in our DEP profile. They were previously 'Not Skipped', generally because we force passcode requirements and the biometric enrollment workflow in the setup assistant is very user friendly.

0 Kudos
Phil-A7
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for clarifying. I think I'll have to give them a call because we skip just about everything except passcode at the moment which is likely a non-mover for management. 

0 Kudos
sluzi1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I received a response from VMware confirming that this is a bug with the setup assistant during DEP enrollment for iOS 14.5.1 and later. VMware JIRA is AAPP-12160. 

Sure would be nice if we had more transparency into known issues, VMware. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos