VMware Workspace ONE Community
rtyler9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to disable Google Play Protect?

I'm looking for a way to disable Google Play Protect on my fleet of Android 8 devices. Is anyone aware of a script, XML or profile that will do it from Workspace One?
Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LukeDC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yep, it's not really ready for distribution. Probably why Play Protect is freaking out too.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What's the reasoning behind this?
0 Kudos
rtyler9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have an non-Play Store application, that I need to deploy to several thousand devices. Although I have a Restrictions profile allowing non-market app installation, I'm seeing a prompt on screen from Play Protect for each install blocking the installation. If I click the ' install anyway'  option the app installs fine. But obviously that's not a solution for deployment to thousands of remote devices. So, I either need a way to disable Play Protect (seems unlikely from what I've read so far), or a way to while-list the application. Ultimately, the solution may be to get the app developer to properly publish the app to the Play Store.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Using Android enterprise? If so you can deploy it through your private playstore which would be a proper channel and cause no alarms to go off.
0 Kudos
rtyler9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've tried that but am receiving an error: ' APK has been signed in debug mode' . I assume that's something the app developer needs to fix?
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yep, it's not really ready for distribution. Probably why Play Protect is freaking out too.

0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is also probably why play protect was objecting since it does not object to just installing a normal app from an apk, also yes they never should have distributed it like that, to the point where if they refuse to fix it you should drop them that is something that should never happen.
0 Kudos
ShamisAhmed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Randy ,

Did you find a solution for this or a workaround.
0 Kudos
rtyler9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The application developer ultimately updated the application so that I was not receiving the ' APK has been signed in debug mode'  message and was able to deploy.
0 Kudos
StevinvanKeulen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is a function in the Android restriction profile which you have to check to suppress the notification:

Allow Disabling Application Verification

0 Kudos