VMware Workspace ONE Community
SCBPC
Contributor
Contributor

How to allow certain applications to run only while inside a geofence area

Not sure if this is possible but I was hoping someone can maybe point me in the right direction if is something that can be achieved with Airwatch.
I read the geofencing documentation and noticed the example they provided where it is possible to block an app from being used while inside a geofence area. The example was to prevent office employees from using the youtube app while in the office.
What I need to achieve is the opposite... I need to allow certain apps to work ONLY while inside a geofence area. I essentially need to make an android smart phone usable only while in the office. Therefore, if outside the office/geofence area, the phone app, texting app, email app, and a few others should be blocked from using.
If possible, how can I achieve this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KenSmithKenSmi1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would like to see an answer for this too. Any chance you figured something out, Sergio?
0 Kudos
SCBPC
Contributor
Contributor

I found a way to kinda achieve what I need but it's not a clean solution.
I setup a restrictions profile that blocks cellular data, access to settings, and others. This profile is linked to a time schedule set for off hours. So the schedule is set for 12am to 7am and from 5pm to 11:55pm for every day of the week. That way, if within the scheduled time, the profile will kick in and block what I need to have it blocked.
Now, to make the phone work while in the office during regular business hours, I setup another restrictions profile that enables everything that was disabled in the scheduled restrictions profile, but this profile is linked to a geofence area- the office. Therefore, while the phone is within the geofence area and not within the hours specified in time schedule profile, it will keep the profile on the phone and everything on the phone will work. As soon as the the clock hits 5pm  the time schedule profile will kick in and restrict the phone again until it is 7am the next day.
By the way, I do not disable WIFI but only allow our access point. That way, when the data on the phone is disabled and the phone is in the office, it will use the WIFI for the agent to communicate with the console if needed.
I know it's not pretty and sometimes, when the phone is not restricted, the cellular data toggle is off so the user thinks the phone is not working when all needs to be done is turn the cellular data toggle button on. Also, sometimes the time schedule profile is not removed from the phone when it should. Wish there was a better way to do this.
0 Kudos
etssrin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I also would like to know if it's still possible to use the geofence features to allow certain application to run and disabled when it is not on the geofence area.
0 Kudos