VMware Workspace ONE Community
ccalv015
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How Do I Create a Smart Group that Links an Application to download when the Tag is Assigned?

Hello,

How Do I Create a Smart Group that Links an Application to download when the Tag is Assigned? E.G I make a smart group called "EPIC ROVER" that the action should be the following: when assigning the smart tag to the device, the application starts to download automatically to the device?

- We are using iOS only environment for AirWatch. 

- I have console administrator access and ABM access.

- We have several hundred devices that need different applications/profiles department on who is using the device. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
JoeTingley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do this via different organizational groups. You assign applications to a smart group with membership rights to anything placed in certain OGs or sub OGs, and then applications and configurations automatically download based on it's OG membership. I've never done it via tags personally because you can't customize backrounds or specific privacy settings doing it via tags.

I also work for a hospital doing Rover. We have about 700 devices deployed. Happy to help if you have any other questions.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Smart groups have a tag capability.  You pick a parent OG and then it will filter to only those with selected tags (if you specify them).  You can then assign the tags via API or manually through web UI...

ccalv015
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Joe,

Thanks for replying!  We have an API connection with Ground Control Provisioning that handles the details like wallpaper, friendly name, etc. and assigns the iPhones in AirWatch.

- I currently have the smart group created in the parent org.

- I have over 9,000 licenses from ABM that us synced and available in AirWatch.

I'm just not seeing the option to assigning the application to the smart group. 

0 Kudos
EricPlent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If your devices are enrolled in Apple DEP (Business Manager) you could theoretically create a smart group for the targeted group of devices and assign it to the app deployment in Apps & Books. When a device is added to the group the app would then push out to the device. If you are not using DEP this would still work, but the user would receive the prompt asking them to confirm the install. 

0 Kudos
ccalv015
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Eric,

Yes, we are using Apple Business Manager (DEP) to enroll devices and VPP for the applications. Would you suggest that's easier to manage and distribute? 

0 Kudos
JD89
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there! The screenshot shows that there are zero assignments to that Smart Group. It might be that you just need to assign the App to that smart group. Apps & Books > select the app in question and then add an assignment to the Smart Group. As long as the smart group has the appropriate Tag in the criteria, you should be good to go. 

0 Kudos
ccalv015
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello!

I have the application Rover assigned to the smart group "EPIC Rover" and I see my tester phone has the application listed available for download, but the command sequence is not going. 

Not sure what I'm doing wrong or what I need to look at. 

0 Kudos
EricPlent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With VPP or just Apps & Books the process should work basically the same. Assign the tag you want to use to a smart group, then assign the app you want to publish to use that smart group for distribution. Once the tag is assigned the app should be pushed almost immediately. Since the devices are in DEP it should be a silent install. 

0 Kudos
JD89
Contributor
Contributor

This looks like the application is enabled for User-based assignments instead of Device-based assignments. With User-based assignments the user is prompted to accept the invite and sign in to their Apple ID to install the app. With Device-based assignments you eliminate the need for the user to accept or sign in w/ their Apple ID and it will automatically and silently install the app on a supervised device.

ccalv015
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi JD,

I just made that changed and assigned the test iPhone I needed. Could this page also be incorrectly set up?

0 Kudos
JD89
Contributor
Contributor

If you want the app to automatically download when the Tag is assigned then you'll need to change the delivery method to "Auto." You'll also need to allocate more licenses if you plan on having more than just 1 device assigned to the smart group.  

0 Kudos
ccalv015
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm seeing the smart group and application licenses linked but now I have encountered this issue (see screenshot). Could this be the problem as well? 

0 Kudos
JD89
Contributor
Contributor

The application is still enabled for User-based assignments instead of Device-based assignments. You will need to change the assignment method to Device-Based assignments. When you click on the app, there is an option in the center that says "Enable Device Assignments." 

0 Kudos
ccalv015
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the screenshot! If that's the best course of action I'll try it, but it seems using criteria, it's a "blanket" in getting all devices in 1 shot. 

0 Kudos