VMware Workspace ONE Community
Bouda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Horizon Data and ThinApp package issue

Hello

I Have some issue about ThinApp packages. I added package into the ThinApp repository and sync in Horizon Workspace. Everything were green and succesfull without alerts.

When I installed Horizon Workspace Client on my laptop, I received message "Package Error; Failed to install Total Commander 8.5. Failed to copy file: The network path was not found" (I translated from czech version of OS)

Synchronization files between my laptop and HW works, but applications not.

What should I do to fix problem with ThinApp packages?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lkowalski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Bouda

If you use the command-line installer (running in a Windows command window), instead of installing by double-clicking the EXE file, then you can set various options, including the install mode.

The command-line installer is described in this Horizon Workspace doc center topic:

http://pubs.vmware.com/horizon-workspace-18/topic/com.vmware.hw-administrator.doc_18/GUID-625C0C94-1...

For example, in a command prompt window, to install with install mode to use HTTP download, you would run:

VMware-Horizon-Workspace-1.8.01800-165331.exe /s

/v HORIZONURL=https://yourHorizonURL INSTALL_MODE=HTTP_DOWNLOAD

Are these 64-bit ThinApp packages? Is the Windows a 64-bit Windows where you installed the client?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What version of Horizon Workspace are you using on the client and on the server?

For Workspace 1.5 and earlier you need to have access to the fileshare where the thinapps are stored from the client.

From Workspace 1.8 and later this can be downloaded using HTTP.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Bouda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am using  Horizon Workspace 1.8.0.1800 Build 165331 on server and on client 1.8.0-1646131

0 Kudos
lkowalski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

In the Connector UI, on the Packaged Apps - ThinApp page, did you select the check box to enable account-based access and provide a user account/password that has read access to the network share?

If not, try that, and re-sync the packages using the Connector UI's Sync Now button.

The HTTP download capability of the client depends on having account-based access enabled in the Connector UI, afaik.

0 Kudos
Bouda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried it, unfortunately, it stopped with the same error. Re-sync packages was successful again.

Whe I start HW client for the first time, I obtain error window with: "Invalid server addres, please re-enter you server information"

Other services (file synchronizing) works well.

0 Kudos
HaiHuang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It looks like your ThinApp packages have been synced successfully. The problem is cannot launch ThinApp from a Windows machine.

How many connectors do you have? If you have more than one connector, please configure ThinApp configuration on all connectors. This is a requirement for ThinApp to launched successfully.

"Whe I start HW client for the first time, I obtain error window with: "Invalid server addres, please re-enter you server information"

-- When you install HW client, you either provide HWS server url via command line option "HORIZONURL" or you will be prompt for it. Make sure you give the correct one. If any special port number is used, provide the port number also.

When you install HW client, do you specify INSTALL_MODE? The valid options for INSTALL_MODE are COPY_TO_LOCAL, RUN_FROM_SHARE, and HTTP_DOWNLOAD. COPY_TO_LOCAL will be the default if you don't specify anything.

Does your Windows machine join the same domain of your connector? If not, COPY_TO_LOCAL mode will failed and it will fallback to use HTTP_DOWNLOAD automatically.

And for HTTP_DOWNLOAD mode to work, as lkowalski mentioned, you need to "select the check box to enable account-based access and provide a user account/password that has read access to the network share", and make sure it is done on all connectors.

0 Kudos
Bouda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have only one HW-connector. Horizon URL is surely correct, because files are synchronized.

I install HW client on my laptop, which is out of domain. Where can I specify install mode? When I run setup file, I can change only location of installation files. At the end, I write horizon URL and that's all.

I would like to use HTTP_DOWNLOAD, but when I tried what lkowalski mentioned, nothing happend. I completly uninstalled HW client, reboot laptop and than install HW-client, but still doesnť work.

0 Kudos
lkowalski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Bouda

If you use the command-line installer (running in a Windows command window), instead of installing by double-clicking the EXE file, then you can set various options, including the install mode.

The command-line installer is described in this Horizon Workspace doc center topic:

http://pubs.vmware.com/horizon-workspace-18/topic/com.vmware.hw-administrator.doc_18/GUID-625C0C94-1...

For example, in a command prompt window, to install with install mode to use HTTP download, you would run:

Are these 64-bit ThinApp packages? Is the Windows a 64-bit Windows where you installed the client?

0 Kudos
Bouda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

lkowalski wrote:

Hi Bouda

Great, that is works really well. Main issue was in the type of installation.

I have one last question. I want to public HW to several people in our organization. How could I ensure, that all people install HW-client this way, with insall_mode parameter?

0 Kudos
dankwax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately and untill VMware update/upgrade their Horizon Workspace client to create INSTALLMODE=HTTP_DOWNLOAD by default, home users will have to use the command line install option.

0 Kudos
RaviChayanam
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If the default install mode fails to download packages for a variety of reasons we do fall back to HTTP_DOWNLOAD as documented in VMware Horizon Workspace 1.8 Documentation Center. See the text next to "AUTO_TRY_HTTP". Can you please let us know if that is not working for you.

0 Kudos
dankwax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The fallback HTTP_DOWNLOAD doesn't work as documented. Running the .exe to install VMware Horizon Workspace client doesn't work. Running it from the command line with INSTALLMODE=HTTP_DOWNLOAD works. I have a customer ready to pull the plug on VMware Horizon Workspace deployment due to this nuance for home users.

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Well, it does work. Problem is today the agent will only automatically change to HTTP delivery in one single error case.. We are looking at changing the behavior so it will be much more aggressive in switching to HTTP. Not sure when this new functionality will be published but it is on its way.

0 Kudos
dankwax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It does work using the default install? Please share how so i can get this working to keep the project moving forward. How many errors before it automatically fails to HTTP?

50 home users have tried the default install and unable to launch ThinApps.

0 Kudos